Fence Swift Lizards

/ Fence Swift Lizards #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Anybody else have Fence Swift Lizards? We have always had some around my place. When my daughter was young she would catch some of the little ones and keep them as pets. We bought feeder crickets at the pet store to feed them. They are pretty docile and get used to humans being around. The ones she used to keep would just sit on her arm and let her handle them. She could put them down on the bed and they would crawl back up in her hand when she held it out.

For the last 6 months or so we have had one living on our front porch. She is getting fatter by the day and I assume she will be laying her eggs soon. The wife has named her Megan. She also has a chameleon body guard hanging around. Wife named him Harry. Today when I went out to take a picture of her he was up on the back of the settle she stays on and followed me around as I approached. I should have taken a final photo but when I left he had positioned himself between me and her. Could just be a coincidence but he sure acts like he is guarding her. She sleeps under the cushion at night and comes out to sun in the day. Until recent she might be seen anywhere on the porch but lately she stays right on the settle.

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

/ Fence Swift Lizards
I've got lots of these guys:

And a few other varieties.

Yeah we have some skinks too but not lots of them. Certainly none we have tried to make pets of. ;)

/ Fence Swift Lizards #5  
We've always called them "Fence Races" but they are the same ...great lizards to have around and enjoy...I always try to make sure any logs etc. that have been setting get disturbed prior to moving etc...hate dislodging them them but better than them getting squished etc...

Skinks are OK but lizards like a fence race/swift etc..are way cool...!

/ Fence Swift Lizards #7  
I've got lots of these guys:

Blue-Tail-Skink.jpg

And a few other varieties.

We have the Blue Tails also, Thought they were more of a nuisance until a few years ago when we started getting a lot of ants. Now we have lots of Blue Tails and almost no ants.

/ Fence Swift Lizards
Looks like Megan laid her eggs somewhere. Hope they survive in all the rain we are getting. From what I've read it takes them about 10 weeks to hatch.

Megan-laidout.jpg

/ Fence Swift Lizards #10  
We have had 3 or 4 years of a large population of them in our yard, under the deck and in our garden. Now that the squash and tomatoes are coming in, they are hopefully making Inroads on the bug population.
Lots of little babies from time to time. Its great having them around!