Fencing Cart

/ Fencing Cart #1  

Surshot

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4x4
I know this is not a tractor, but I imagine you guys do some fencing on occasion so I thought I would tell you about my fencing cart.

First I took a 48-volt electric Club Car golf cart and turned it into a Sporting Clays cart with a basket in front, below the windshield and a carryall pickup style bed in the rear. I mounted two double upright gun racks inside the bed and a barrel holder/clamp on each front support for the roof.

When my wife and me decided to put in a mile of high tensile, 5 strand, fence by ourselves I looked around for ways to do the different functions, hauling equipment, material, etc. I decided to drill holes in the hard clay with the auger on the Kubota and haul the posts on the root rake mounted on the FEL. This combo works like real well. I can haul 1,000 ft of field posts on one trip. With a chain I can lift and set big gate posts with the root rake. With a 12-inch and 9 inch auger I can get all the holes drilled and concrete set without much problem.

I haul sackrete in the floor of the cart and after removing the two gun racks a 25 gal electric sprayer, I bought from AG Supply, was put into the back, full of water, to water the sackrete. A post hole digger and shovel lay in the basket while the level, wrenches, rolling paint marker, etc., slide in beside them. A high-speed drill lays on the seat in its carrying case. Hanging from the driver side barrel holder is a rolling tape measure. With my wife driving the cart we can go down the fence line installing post after post.

When the posts with concrete were all installed (8 gate posts, 3 corner posts, 2 end posts, 16 brace posts with bracing wire), I removed the spray tank and installed a + frame made of 1x4s, 2x4s and a 4x4. The 4x4 was drilled through with a 3/4 inch bit and a spinning jenny installed on the horizontal with its center pin in the hole setting on the 1x4. Then a cable was run from the rear roof brace around the pin and back to the other rear roof brace to secure the spinning jenny in place. A 4,000 roll was placed on the SJ. Then I put all of the wiring equipment into the cart, tensioners, springs, crimping tool, staples, hammers, splicers, etc. I can put in three strands of fence, 1,000 ft long in about 3 hours. Half of the fence is now finished except for the spacers being installed between the posts.

When cutting the 12.5 ga wire, I hold the fence end of the wire in my hand and use a vice grip pier clamped on the wire to hold the roll end of the wire to keep it from going crazy. The weight of the vice grip holds the end of the wire to the ground and it will not flip around.

I also made a vertical spinning jenny for barbed wire by drilling the two gun racks and installing eyebolts in each with a 1/2 inch galvanized pipe, keepers on each end and double 1/2 inch plywood with u-bolt keepers to retain the barbed wire roll. This also works like a champ.

I have tried to post a picture of the cart but I must be doing something wrong.

/ Fencing Cart #2  
Would like to see your cart if you can solve the posting problem.:)
"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force, like fire: a dangerous servant and a terrible master." -- G. Washington//The purpose of the "State" is to monopolize the ability to apply force.;)
larry

/ Fencing Cart
This is the picture, tried one more time.
Ed

Attachments

• Fence Cart small.jpg
    Fence Cart small.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 662
   / Fencing Cart #5  
My electric golf cart is one of the most used tools I use on my place. Batteries and connectors are the highest maintence items on one.
Cool cart:)

/ Fencing Cart #6  
I like the carry all you made for your golf cart.
I have one also and used to use it when playing golf. Now it's at my ranch and I use it to get the mail and running around the property. I want to make a carry all like yours and a basket for the front too.

/ Fencing Cart #8  
I like the carry all you made for your golf cart.
I have one also and used to use it when playing golf. Now it's at my ranch and I use it to get the mail and running around the property. I want to make a carry all like yours and a basket for the front too.

Rob,

I have a Yamaha G19 Electric Cart. I made a bed for the back out of 1/4" 2x2 angle (kinda heavy, but sturdy). I cut off the bag holder with a saws-all, but left the cooler holder to attach the top of the bed to with 1" square tubing. I then made legs that extend to the floor of the cart and bolted a flat plate to the floor where the golf bags usually rest. It will pretty much haul anything without bending. Including me (270#). :eek:

For the front I made a "bed" out of an old bed frame a friend gave me. It works just as well as the 1/4" angle iron, but isn't quite as sturdy, but it was free!! I even cut off and used the ends of the frame that attach to the headboard and made a bolt on bracket. I removed the front bumper and bolted this to the bolts that hold on the A-arms. I then made a brace that runs up to the "bed". I made tabs and unbolted the top frame from the cart. I then ran the bolts for the top frame through the tabs and attached the "bed" to the cart along with the top frame.

For each I took and made a box frame out of 2x6's on edge and attached a piece of 1/2" plywood for the floor.

I use the rear "bed" to haul a 5 gallon bucket of goat feed and another 5 gallon bucket of dog food. Plus various other items. The front bed is where I haul my tools: hammer, drill, drill bits, etc.....

My wife just looked at it and said, "If you add anything else to that golf cart it's going to self destruct" and walked into the house. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I added a home made hitch to the back with a ball so I could pull a 4x8 utility trailer. I used the trailer to haul a John Deere riding mower (800#) from my house to my mothers (1/4 mile) after it died. My wife told me we wouldn't make it, but we did. :D

As long as I am dilegent about adding water to the batteries I have no issues. It will pretty much run around all day without loosing it's charge.

On Edit: I'll try to take pics and post them later.
Chris

/ Fencing Cart #9  
Thanks for the details Chris.
I've got a couple other projects and repairs ahead of the golf cart makeover, but I'm gonna keep the instructions and make them to mine next year.
Oh, and I know about the wife thing ... :D