Fencing for goats?

/ Fencing for goats? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I'll be using my new L2510 with a PH digger to put in some new fencing. Now this is tractor related...lol.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of those little Nubian type goats. I use to raise Paso Fino horses and kept 3 or so most of the time for the kids and me to ride. Wife never did like riding even though they were about the smoothest riding type horse around with their gated stride. So I know some about keeping animals, use to even have a brush goat back then and that thing was ornery and we could not keep it inside an electric fence. Now, back to the goats. anyone on here ever have these type of goats (smaller and nicer disposition to handle for milking ect)? I would like some real world advice before doing something like this. Wife and I still work so the goats would be something to have to take care of besides working. Is it worth it for milk/meat? I don't want to fool with cows as I've had a disc removed out of my lower back and have a titanium plate in my neck. Thanks, Gary

/ Fencing for goats? #2  
Subscribed... need more info also to keep the grass and brush at bay and spaying and cutting is too much work.

/ Fencing for goats?
Brush goats are excellent for keeping brush etc at bay. That's why I had the one around for several years. They will eat anything they can get their mouth on...lol

/ Fencing for goats? #4  
Our goats are half Nubian and half who-knows-what? Point is, they are small and friendly. We keep them in a 5' high, 6-strand high tensile electric fence with a very strong fencer. The bottom wire is 8" off the ground. They respect the fence and stay inside the pasture. The biggest mistake most people make with goats is using too weak of a fencer (zapper?) and forgetting that goats can jump. We've never had an issue.

The goats themselves are very easy to handle. We're not milking this year, but I can do most anything I want with them without much fuss. Once I clip the lead on the collar, I can lead them anywhere. They're too light to make much of a fuss.

/ Fencing for goats? #5  
Often wondered could you use one of those wireless dog fences and instead of putting the collar on the dog put it on the goat.

/ Fencing for goats?
I'm thinking about 48" dog wire welded type with the hot wire along the top/bottom. Is 48" enough to keep out coyotes (also using electric fence at top/bottom)?

Welded Wire, 48 in. x 100 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

I could go with the 60" tall if it would help, as we do have coyotes down here and I hear them yapping behind the house every night. They do tend to stay away from the house/fields during daylight. I see them on the game cam at night though.

/ Fencing for goats? #7  
TSC sells goat & sheep fence...4" squares...and from what I've been learning...you'll still need electric to keep them from standing on the wire and breaking it down.

/ Fencing for goats? #8  
I'm thinking about 48" dog wire welded type with the hot wire along the top/bottom. Is 48" enough to keep out coyotes (also using electric fence at top/bottom)?

Welded Wire, 48 in. x 100 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

I could go with the 60" tall if it would help, as we do have coyotes down here and I hear them yapping behind the house every night. They do tend to stay away from the house/fields during daylight. I see them on the game cam at night though.

if they get their feet on the welded wire they will absolutely destroy it - especially after a few years' rust and wear on the joints. you want to go with woven wire as suggested.

/ Fencing for goats? #9  
We had woven wire when we kept goats and they would stick their heads through to graze on the other side of the fence. When they did this they eventually stretched out the woven wire. An electric wire will help them stay "honest" with the fence.

/ Fencing for goats? #10  
Forget about fencing keeping the coyotes out...........They WILL get in, under, around, or through. Worse yet is the friendly trailer trash pit bull.............For us, and our average momma goat is $2k and the billies more..It's worth keeping a livestock guard dog or two in each pasture........You MUST have something

....We have the woven wire fencing on some pastures and other places 5 wire electric and a couple use 3 wire. Our Boers are a bit larger than your typical Nubian but even tempered. Neither should be a jump over problem. Never had that situation after I don't know how many hundreds of goats now. The little ones will go through/under electric; but once they get zapped, sooner or later, they don't go near it. With woven or welded wire you need.....MUST HAVE...at least one electric wire in the middle of the fence to keep them from rubbing their winter coats off or just scratching. Soon they will put a huge bulge in your fence by doing this. Perhaps that is why we never have one sticking it's head through the fence to browse as is mentioned above.............

We raise breeding and show stock; but often we use nubian crosses for recip momma's as they have lots of milk to take care of 3 kids easily. If you are gonna do it for the milk, yes, a certified nubian is pretty much a must. They must be tested before using the milk for production. Check out about "freshening"............Anyway, on and on........God bless..........Dennis