Fencing overkill.

/ Fencing overkill. #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I'm planning on putting up a fence to keep dogs contained. They are all older dogs, but have never been outside. Gonna keep in an insulated shed with heater.
Fence will be 4' welded wire with t-posts every 8' (or so), also plan on running invisible fence along the time of the welded wire. Will running the Invisible fence on top of the welded wire be an issue. I can't think of anything.

I know this seems like over kill, but they being moved over 100 miles and don't want them getting out trying to go back home.

Thoughts???

Wedge

/ Fencing overkill. #3  
I've got a dog that will either dig under or climb over a fence. Caught him climbing over a field fence... Going to put electric wire on the next one. He ignores the invisible fence one - even turned up full power.

/ Fencing overkill. #4  
What breed are the dogs? Some beagles I've known were escape artists.

/ Fencing overkill. #5  
A lot depends on the size of your enclosure. If you want to turn up the fence high enough to keep them away from the fence with the wire at the top, you will need about a 5' field. You will also lose about a five foot field all along the inside perimeter so if it's a small enclosure this might not be ideal.

If you make a smaller 1-2 foot range with the wire at the top, a resourceful dog could dig under the bottom. I would bury the wire a foot or two outside the perimeter and adjust the field so it came about a foot inside to give the most room possible and alleviate any digging or jumping against the fence.

Good luck!

/ Fencing overkill. #6  
not all dogs are tough like Texas dogs Tough-Dog-webready.jpg

/ Fencing overkill. #7  
Just do it the simple way. Run a strand of electric fence wire 12" off the ground on the inside perimeter of the welded wire. Use the highly visible type wire and buy a simple charger (or go solar).

One zap and the dogs won't go near the fence. Trying to climb over it is out of the question. Guaranteed. Plus, if you happen to take the dogs somewhere they can be contained by just putting up a dummy fence line of the same wire.

I've used the method 30+ years with about 12 different dogs and never had one even try to get out. After a while, the charger can be turned off and the dogs won't challenge it. (Incidentally, pigs will take a hit occasionally to see if the wire is on.)

As a bonus, if there are stray dogs in the area, wire can be run on the outside of the fence, too. Just a 12" wire bridge from the inside wire to charge the outside wire works perfectly.

The expense, trouble, and maintenance of buried wire and the necessary dog collars are just not worth it IMO. With above ground wire the system is exposed for repairs if necessary. Stray dogs without a signal collar will be controlled.

Weed-cutter chargers can be used or a perimeter application of RoundUp a couple of times a year can keep the wire free of shorting issues (but a short can easily be heard).

/ Fencing overkill.
"also plan on running invisible fence along the top of the welded wire"

/ Fencing overkill. #9  
4' isn't enough. We had a short legged lab that could crawl up a chain link fence. What will keep them in is a 6' pen on concrete.

/ Fencing overkill. #10  
It all depends on the breed and the individual dog. And the sex. Some dogs are easily deterred, others are escape artists. We had a retired greyhound who would not challenge a three board fence or even a split rail fence! OTOH, when I was a kid, we had a Walker mix hound that was just about impossible to keep home, even chained!

The low electric line does sound like an effective idea.