Ferguson to30 hydraulics

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #1  

Mhttn72

Tractor
Ferguson To30
My to30 hydraulics won't lift on their own. If I hold them up, they eventually build enough pressure to hold themselves up, but they can easily be pushed down. Soon as I shut the tractor off, they drop. I've replaced the control valve (which is where all my problems started). I couldn't find the correct mineral oil so I used STP Multitrac tractor fluid. Could this be my problem or am I dealing with bad seals on the piston? Getting a gauge tomorrow to test the pump pressure, but I really don't think that's the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #2  
My to30 hydraulics won't lift on their own. If I hold them up, they eventually build enough pressure to hold themselves up, but they can easily be pushed down. Soon as I shut the tractor off, they drop. I've replaced the control valve (which is where all my problems started). I couldn't find the correct mineral oil so I used STP Multitrac tractor fluid. Could this be my problem or am I dealing with bad seals on the piston? Getting a gauge tomorrow to test the pump pressure, but I really don't think that's the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA
I had a TO20 once that had hyd problems all the time. Something kept coming lose inside. Had to always take off that side plate and connect something back. I can't remember what it was. too long ago
I finally gave up and sold that tractor

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #3  
My TO 35 lifts fine, but has leaked down after I shut it down for the entire 30 plus years I have owned it. One of these days I want to fix it but it hasn't made the priority list yet.
Here is a You tube on an pump overhaul. It gives you a good idea of what is in there, how things work, and how it is supposed to go together. The guy has a delightful Aussie accent!

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #5  
Here is another video on the lift cylinder overhaul. Your problem may be here rather than the pump. The TO 20, 30 &35 and Ford 8n are all very similar in concept and many parts are interchangeable.

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #6  
Tractor Supply caries the right oil. It is 90 weight mineral oil. Sure is pricey....

API Service GL-1. For use in final drives, hydraulic systems, and manual transmissions of Ford Tractors manufactured between 1939 - 1952

Sent from my SM-G950U using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #7  
Don't worry about the oil, GL-5 will work quite well and not hurt a thing, your problem is the lift cylinder needs the be rebuilt or replaced.

/ Ferguson to30 hydraulics #8  
Ooops I accidentally loaded the same video twice, Here is the lift pump overhaul U-tube: