Ferguson TO30 Starts but will not stay runnig

/ Ferguson TO30 Starts but will not stay runnig #1  

BobbyCarmon

Tractor
TO30 and 384 International
1954 Ferguson will start but will not stay running. It was running good on Monday. Also gas will not flow into sediment bowl when I hand tighten it tight, what would cause this? If I leave loose gas flows into bowl freely, or course it leaks if I don't tighten it tight.

Thanks guys for any help that you can give me.
bobbycarmon

/ Ferguson TO30 Starts but will not stay runnig #2  
Assuming your engine is in reasonable mechanical condition, you need the proper fuel air ratio and a hot spark at the right time to start and run a spark ignition engine. What diagnostics have you tried to figure out what is wrong?

Have you checked the spark? It should be FAT AND BLUISH-WHITE, the color of lightning. Start the tractor and check the spark immediately when it dies..

With the tank valve fully open, remove the plug t the bottom of the carb, holding a suitable container below the carb to catch the gas. Fuel should gush out like a cow peeing on a flat rock. If it dribbles or is intermittent, you have a restriction in the fuel delivery. Make sure the vent hole in the fuel cap is clear, check the filter in the sediment bowl, examine the fuel lines for kinks or bends and check the fuel filter in the fuel inlet elbow of the carburetor. If your fuel flow is still restricted, pull the carb and make sure the float is set correctly.

Make these simple checks and report back.

/ Ferguson TO30 Starts but will not stay runnig
Assuming your engine is in reasonable mechanical condition, you need the proper fuel air ratio and a hot spark at the right time to start and run a spark ignition engine. What diagnostics have you tried to figure out what is wrong?

Have you checked the spark? It should be FAT AND BLUISH-WHITE, the color of lightning. Start the tractor and check the spark immediately when it dies..

With the tank valve fully open, remove the plug t the bottom of the carb, holding a suitable container below the carb to catch the gas. Fuel should gush out like a cow peeing on a flat rock. If it dribbles or is intermittent, you have a restriction in the fuel delivery. Make sure the vent hole in the fuel cap is clear, check the filter in the sediment bowl, examine the fuel lines for kinks or bends and check the fuel filter in the fuel inlet elbow of the carburetor. If your fuel flow is still restricted, pull the carb and make sure the float is set correctly.

Make these simple checks and report back.

Jerry, I removed the fuel line at the carburetor, got good gas flow did that on Thursday. Rained all day in these neck of the woods. I will do the other checks when the rain stops. It died in the field. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Jerry

Bobby

/ Ferguson TO30 Starts but will not stay runnig #4  
Gas not flowing into the bowl is actually a good sign. That means you have a good seal on the bowl. Basically, and airlock situation. A couple of easy ways to let it fill are, 1. Loosen, and let it fill. When it starts to seep, tighten it, then watch for a leak. If there is no leak, you're good to go there. 2. You can crack the fuel line at the carb. You should be able to see the bowl fill when it is loose enough to let air escape from the line.

There is another recent thread about another TO-30 having the same problems. I'm guessing on that one, as well as yours, the elbow strainer screen where the fuel line attaches to the carb. may be partially/mostly plugged, not allowing a full flow of fuel, if in fact it still has one. There should be, it's an OEM part. Maybe just enough to fill the bowl if it sets a while. The tractor will consume more fuel that the screen will let through, and runs out of gas. Or, the cross drilled holes in the discharge nozzle in the carb are plugged. Should be two sets of them. A single wire plucked from a wire brush, or a strand of copper wire from a piece of automotive type wire make good cleaners. Some Acetone, or a spritz of carb cleaner should flush it out. Blow through it, or if you have an air compressor, and blow gun, give it a shot of air to clean it up, and re-check the holes. Could even be a speck of something partially blocking the main jet.

/ Ferguson TO30 Starts but will not stay runnig
Thanks DJ54 I will do these things this week

Bobby