Ferris ISX800

/ Ferris ISX800 #11  
I've been running a Ferris IS3200z with a 72" deck for several years. $$$, but much better build quality and materials than some of the "other" popular ZTRs running around. No problems yet. I did put a set of Maxxis Viper ATV tires on the back though. I hate turf tires.

/ Ferris ISX800 #12  
I've been running a Ferris IS3200z with a 72" deck for several years. $$$, but much better build quality and materials than some of the "other" popular ZTRs running around. No problems yet. I did put a set of Maxxis Viper ATV tires on the back though. I hate turf tires.
About ten years ago I put Ag style bar tread tires on my 1000Z to help on the hills here.
My son and I swapped machines for a couple of seasons, so I've put the suspension on his IS2100 to the test.
I like the old rigid frame design if the property is flat and relatively smooth, it's just solid /simple. From what I've seen most of the ZT's on the market are made that way.

There is no doubt in my mind that besides the better ride, the IS2100 climbs hills, especially at an angle, way better than the rigid frame. It keeps traction (even w/ turf tires) over bumps and ruts better than my rigid frame. The down side of the IS is that it's so much more complex, with more moving parts that could go out of alignment/wear out. That said, we have had no problems with the IS machine and it's been run on some pretty rough hilly ground since we bought it in 2016.

After running both of our mowers my friend/neighbor went out and bought a ISX800z and loves it. It rides even better than the IS2100. I think that is mostly due to it's real cushy suspension seat.

If I live long enough for the economy to somewhat return to normal we'll see what's available in 60 inch mowers. I had been giving some thought to going to a B or BX but my trimming work would really increase from the ZT.

Right now, just looking at specs, I'm interested in the Ferris ISX3300. I like the larger tire size, (again because of my rough property), and the larger engine.
WoodDuck, which engine did you choose and why? Any regrets in that department?
My apologies for the long winded response.

/ Ferris ISX800 #13  
About ten years ago I put Ag style bar tread tires on my 1000Z to help on the hills here.
My son and I swapped machines for a couple of seasons, so I've put the suspension on his IS2100 to the test.
I like the old rigid frame design if the property is flat and relatively smooth, it's just solid /simple. From what I've seen most of the ZT's on the market are made that way.

There is no doubt in my mind that besides the better ride, the IS2100 climbs hills, especially at an angle, way better than the rigid frame. It keeps traction (even w/ turf tires) over bumps and ruts better than my rigid frame. The down side of the IS is that it's so much more complex, with more moving parts that could go out of alignment/wear out. That said, we have had no problems with the IS machine and it's been run on some pretty rough hilly ground since we bought it in 2016.

After running both of our mowers my friend/neighbor went out and bought a ISX800z and loves it. It rides even better than the IS2100. I think that is mostly due to it's real cushy suspension seat.

If I live long enough for the economy to somewhat return to normal we'll see what's available in 60 inch mowers. I had been giving some thought to going to a B or BX but my trimming work would really increase from the ZT.

Right now, just looking at specs, I'm interested in the Ferris ISX3300. I like the larger tire size, (again because of my rough property), and the larger engine.
WoodDuck, which engine did you choose and why? Any regrets in that department?
My apologies for the long winded response.
26" tires make a HUGE difference in ride quality over smaller ones. I have the 36HP Vanguard Big Block on mine. They also have a newer 40HP Vanguard that has came out since I bought mine. Stay FAR away from the Delphi-injection Kawasaki engines. My Ferris dealer won't even special order you one with a Kawasaki engine. He flat refuses to sell one with the Kawasaki engine. They're notorious for getting too hot and throwing rods. It's a fuel injection system without an O2 sensor on the exhaust to actually adjust the fuel-air mix correctly like a normal EFI would. Result is it runs in a fuel-rich state under a load and blows up the engine. The Vanguard Big Blocks were pretty much the gold standard for longevity in the era I bought mine in. Never any issues with anything on my Ferris. And to the crowd that always rears their heads about a suspension system having moving parts that "might wear out someday". Following this logic, I always ask them: "Did you buy your car without suspension for the same reason? Did you find a car or pickup to buy with a solid rigid frame on it because you were terrified you might have to replace a shock years down the road on your grocery-getter?"(And yes my suspension system stills works perfectly, like the day I brought it home. Still all OEM.) Gimme a break. Try convincing a uniform-wearing professional landscaper sometime that your plastic 300 pound lawn mower from your local big box store "is just as good" as his 1600 pound commercial zero turn. It's not. At all. Period. There's a reason you don't see residential mowers on a landscaper's trailer. Most residential mowers are designed with a 200-300 hour lifespan in mind. A modern commercial unit is designed and fabricated with a 2500+ hour lifespan in mind. It might cost double what a residential ZTR does, but it's literally designed to last ten times as long.

/ Ferris ISX800 #14  
26" tires make a HUGE difference in ride quality over smaller ones. I have the 36HP Vanguard Big Block on mine. They also have a newer 40HP Vanguard that has came out since I bought mine. Stay FAR away from the Delphi-injection Kawasaki engines. My Ferris dealer won't even special order you one with a Kawasaki engine. He flat refuses to sell one with the Kawasaki engine. They're notorious for getting too hot and throwing rods. It's a fuel injection system without an O2 sensor on the exhaust to actually adjust the fuel-air mix correctly like a normal EFI would. Result is it runs in a fuel-rich state under a load and blows up the engine. The Vanguard Big Blocks were pretty much the gold standard for longevity in the era I bought mine in. Never any issues with anything on my Ferris. And to the crowd that always rears their heads about a suspension system having moving parts that "might wear out someday". Following this logic, I always ask them: "Did you buy your car without suspension for the same reason? Did you find a car or pickup to buy with a solid rigid frame on it because you were terrified you might have to replace a shock years down the road on your grocery-getter?"(And yes my suspension system stills works perfectly, like the day I brought it home. Still all OEM.) Gimme a break. Try convincing a uniform-wearing professional landscaper sometime that your plastic 300 pound lawn mower from your local big box store "is just as good" as his 1600 pound commercial zero turn. It's not. At all. Period. There's a reason you don't see residential mowers on a landscaper's trailer. Most residential mowers are designed with a 200-300 hour lifespan in mind. A modern commercial unit is designed and fabricated with a 2500+ hour lifespan in mind. It might cost double what a residential ZTR does, but it's literally designed to last ten times as long.
Thank you. Lots of good info here.
About ten years ago this guy I knew said he was in the market for a good riding mower.
I asked if he had thought of getting a ZT? Would he like to try mine to see what they're like?
He told me no thanks. Those things are junk!
He had recently bought one and returned it the same day. I asked where he bought it and how much it cost. Turns out it was a big box store special and cost about half of what my machine cost.
Truly apples and oranges.