Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #1  

Navy_AWCM

Tractor
LS XU6168
Hello, new the the forum. Upgraded from a 1975 IH 574 that I spent more time working on it than getting work done.
I purchased a LS XU6168 last month and so far just used it for bush hogging and plowing a 1.5 acre field.
I'm now looking at spreader/seeder from one of the chain supply stores. What I've noticed is when others are asking questions about the spreader and provide their make/HP of tractor, it seems that any tractor over 25HP the response of "will it work on my tractor?" is "NO this will not work with your unit, this tractor exceeds the horsepower rating for this unit."
I'm looking to understand how a 540 RPM PTO correlates into the spreader response of "will not work, tractor exceeds HP."

Thanks for the help and so far I have about 12 hours usage and love the tractor.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #2  
Does the spreader driveline have a slip clutch to protect it should it get jammed?

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #3  
I'm running a 500# on my MT225S...no biggie. Better than my full size Fords....I can reach the controls easily and the Ind. PTO is just the thing.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #4  
The hp of the tractor will not make any difference with a pto spreader unless you put something in it that you shouldnt. I spread 1000lbs of lime last weekend with my 40 hp tractor , Mine holds 750 lbs. Do not put ag lime in this type of spreader it will burn up the gearbox. I have looked at lots of these before i bought and none have a slip clutch. They take very little power to operate, Almost any tractor will work.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #5  
The only reason I can think of is they are afraid of the pto shaft being twisted if the spreader were to jam. I really believe you will be hard press to find someone who has not used a spreader on larger hp tractor that it was rated for with no issue.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #6  
I run a 900lb capacity spreader on my 6168. Don’t worry about it. Don’t fill it full of sand and it will be fine.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #7  
Just want to say I bought a hand held seed spreader yesterday and it works great. About $80.

I've got an area maybe 2 football fields in size and after looking at this and that option I figured it would be easier and faster to just broad cast the seed, after airation, dragging etc etc etc.

880B0499-FB23-4363-B494-5C2BB1B7B912.jpeg

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP
Thanks everyone for the responses and insight. My father-in-law has a spreader but the last time I used it, a few years back, I had to almost take it apart just to get the spinner plates to turn. He had left it out on the woodline in the weather after his use. By now I'm guessing it's toast.
I'm planning on purchasing one for myself, will do a good cleaning, lubing and out of weather storage after use.
The smallest field I have is the 1.5 with the largest getting upwards to 6 acres. I'll not worry about the responses from the on-line customer service folks and purchase what works for me.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP #9  
Navy, I try to flood mine when washing it after being used. Use plenty of water and for me have to wash it twice to get all the little areas dust will settle. THEN don't leave in the weather. If I had to and do cover so rain and trash will not get in it. The pan that does the spinning has a dip as least all I ever seen and will hold water. Good idea to test it before loading to be sure it is spinning freely. Best to do so by hand before connecting the pto shaft. No doubt you know this but be sure to check the new pto shaft for proper length.

/ Fertilizer Spreader/Seeder versus tractor HP
Thanks everyone for the info...sorry I've been mostly offline since I received the tractor. It's a great feeling getting all the work done without me spending more time fixing the old tractor.
I did purchase the spreader I was looking at, so far only used to to throw soybeans for a food plot.
Tractor has been a work horse and has done everything I've thrown at it. Now I'm at the 50 hour first oil/oil filter and hydraulic filter change.
I've been reading through the other posts of dealing with OEM versus after market filter decisions.
So far this has been a great site for information for newbies like myself.
Again, thanks for all the info and insight.