Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
My son was put to work, helping me remove fence and pull trees last summer. He did a good job, but he had an incident with a tree getting away from him because of a grasp with the Intimidator, lower than center of gravity. When he lifted the tree, it rotated on him, pushing the root end into the 'grill'. Well, I've been working 'as is' since that time, with the expectation that I'd fix it later. And now, later has finally arrived (along with hopefully some warmer weather) and I'd like to fix the front of the hood.

There is a chunk which is gone, about 5x4" or so. I've never worked with fiberglass, but it seems well within my wheelhouse. But I wanted to check with you guys about what materials you'd recommend. I'd prefer to purchase the 'EASIEST' kit which will do the job. Basically, I'd like everything I need to get to the prime and paint stage in a kit if there is a good one. Unless there is a real good reason that piecing it together is the clearly superior direction. If all goes well, I have a few other dings and cracks I'd like to fix on the back fender.

I ordered a new headlight bezel and front screen.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on doing this job in the 1. Easiest 2. Best way possible.

IMG_6282.JPG

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #2  
I would contact the people at the site below...they should let you send them the pictures and they will send you the materials and describe the processes...

Contact Us

FGCI | Fiberglass Coatings

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #3  
My son was put to work, helping me remove fence and pull trees last summer. He did a good job, but he had an incident with a tree getting away from him because of a grasp with the Intimidator, lower than center of gravity. When he lifted the tree, it rotated on him, pushing the root end into the 'grill'. Well, I've been working 'as is' since that time, with the expectation that I'd fix it later. And now, later has finally arrived (along with hopefully some warmer weather) and I'd like to fix the front of the hood.

There is a chunk which is gone, about 5x4" or so. I've never worked with fiberglass, but it seems well within my wheelhouse. But I wanted to check with you guys about what materials you'd recommend. I'd prefer to purchase the 'EASIEST' kit which will do the job. Basically, I'd like everything I need to get to the prime and paint stage in a kit if there is a good one. Unless there is a real good reason that piecing it together is the clearly superior direction. If all goes well, I have a few other dings and cracks I'd like to fix on the back fender.

I ordered a new headlight bezel and front screen.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on doing this job in the 1. Easiest 2. Best way possible.

View attachment 598374

I would suggest taking that hood to a body shop, or a boat repair place.
It will need some professional expertise to look decent again.

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #4  
Not so much needed as a kit but you can get some mat, resin and hardener....Grind back damaged area and feather edge the break and make up a foam core an cover it with plastic wrap and place it in behind the hole.... Mix resin and harder and lay on several layers of mat and soak with catalyzed resin, build up materials slightly above surrounding surface...Once glass is hard it works pretty much like wood or auto body filler.... Grind, sand, fill voids or remain imperfections work off some more and paint.....

Keep in mind resin and catalyst has to be mixed according to ratio on container of resin, to much catalyst and resin will go off HOT or to little it may not cure, ambient temperature is a factor, warm days are best... Once resin starts to "jelly" you are done with that batch..... Also keep container of acetone handy as it us a cleaner/solvent for tools and such, all brushes and tools should be consider disposable as once resin cure on it it solid forever....

Must be a hundred videos on Youtube on how to make fiberglass repairs....

After view videos you may still be adventurous or decide the repair in not for you....

Dale

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #5  
The John Deere material IS NOT fiberglass. John Deere uses Xenoy, a type of polycarbonate. The best thing to use would be a plastic bumper repair kit as many bumpers are made from Xenoy. Evercoat makes some fillers and repair materials for Xenoy. You may want to look at the Evercoat website and research repairing Xenoy. Generally, it is repaired with plastic welding, but you may be able to treat it like a fiberglass repair IF you can get the filler materials that will bond with the Xenoy.

There are a number of different types of resin materials. Fiberglass boats and large layups usually use a polyester resin material, while wooden boat repairs use an epoxy resin - they are quite different. Polyester is brittle, UV resistant, and high VOC. Epoxy has good flexural properties, is NOT UV resistant, is water resistant and low to no VOC. Epoxy will not bond to many plastics like polyethylene, polypropylene, EPDM, and materials like metal.

If you have a local, professional body shop paint supply company, the best thing to do would be to go talk with them as they should be able to supply you with repair materials for Xenoy.

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood
Swines,

Not to doubt you, but do plastic parts have fiber reinforcement? I had just assumed it was fiberglass, but if you’re correct, I obviously need to move in a different direction.

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #7  
This is beyond a "fix or patch" and more like a "recreate". First you will need to make a form/mold to create the correct shape of the hood lip. Something needs to support the material as it sets.

/ Fiberglass Repair kit recommendations? JD hood #8  
First thing is to look into the cost of a new hood. $$$

I have made some repairs on JD plastic skin. (. JD 4200 ) sorta suitable but I’m not very skilled.

In your case think about metal screening to fill in the missing portions. Fasten it down with screws on the good plastic. Put on several light coats bondo & sand down. At this point ensure every thing fits properly and do what you have to to make it fit properly. ( build up sand down ) Then add a layer of fibreglass, both sides and again check for fit. At this time the screws you have used can be removed and another coat of fibreglass. Finish off with bondo for the final smooth shape.

Auto body repair sections also have a flexible metal lathe product that has glue on one side that should work for you.

The hood costs $728... I'd rather leave the gap and call it good than pay that. I'd form a carbon fiber cap over the entire thing and bolt it on, almost like a bug deflector. This would actually be the 'easiest' thing for me to do. I guess I could just do that, coat it in UV proofing, and have a CF strip over the entire front. But... it seems as though I should be able to fix this reasonably.

The flex is likely the thing I need to insure I account for, in my limited estimation. If I know the type of resin system I need to fix this specific material... Swine thinks it Xenoy, with which I have no familiarity. But regardless, I can't imagine I cannot fix this without too much issue, given the correct system be it fiberglass or plastic repair.

?

I contacted Polyvance and they recommended using a product called Plastifix. It looks relatively simple and they have a video of them recreating a chunked out piece similar to mine. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. Looks relatively straight forward in the video. He said the compounds will work well on Xenoy.