field clearing

/ field clearing #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
Some photos from last year's field clean up rocking but mostly old stumps and roots from the remains of the old tree farm, as you can see in some of the photographs my question is other than the rake on the back of my tractor which doesn't really go deep enough and a rock bucket what else would gather up all those pieces of wood, that field is done but I have several more fields in worse shape. I have a land pride rake I was wondering if anyone has tried the scarifier attachment made by land pride apparently it bolts ahead of the rake and it just might bring the debris to the surfers so the rake can drag the wood into a pile. The rock bucket works and so does the grapple the only problem I'm afraid I might tweak the loader out of square plowing into the soil that way I'd rather have something dragging behind me. Also as you can see in the photos I wouldn't have to go to deep not like plowing I'd say maybe 2 to 4 inches some of the debris is hiding the rake just can't get that deep it loads up and rides on top I probably need a bigger rake ;-). The fields will be used for hay so the rocks and sticks have to go. Well that's what I'm up against it's not really farming in these five fields it's more like land reclamation but it's well worth it to gain back the acreage that was lost for so many years. One of the photos show my dad getting ready to plant the trees in the that field with his John Deere back in 1966 God I miss him. In the new photos that's my brother on his TN 75 making long rows of rocks with the Windrower. Well thanks again any opinions would be appreciated take care

Attachments

• dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 220
   / field clearing #2  
Radium, how bout trying a box blade , they work great for what your doing with the fields and you can set the the ripper teeth to pluck rocks and loosen soil.
That and your rock bucket and rake .... you will be good to go.

Nice puctures , really enjoyed the one of your dad from back when, and know what you mean ,I miss my dad too.

But I would bet he is mighty proud lookin down on ya doing such a good job on thoes fields.

Lone Oak

/ field clearing #3  
Dido! I favor the rear implaments for this, and I'll be doing the same thing soon clearing out the remains of a wheat feild and replacing it with grass. So Radium do keep us posted as you change implements and share the outcome.

Good Luck

/ field clearing #4  
What about renting a power rake. It will cut down about 2" and windrow the rocks and wood debris.

/ field clearing
What a beautiful day blue skies and wood everywhere :), thank you for some of the ideas I thought of trying a box blade but I figured it would load up too quickly with all the junk so I ordered the scarifier should be here by Tuesday I will let you know how it goes, so for now I'm just taking it easy with my rock bucket, going slow so as not to tweak the loader frame. I have some photos of before and after today took me about four hours, tomorrow I will be going out to finish up and then start chemical burning open fields much easier just drive around and spray my kind of day. And thank you for the comment about my father it's days like today that really make me remember how much I miss him I can just about see him riding his tractor always with a smile I don't think I ever remember my dad being angry, he passed away five years ago and unfortunately we also lost our mom one year ago May 25 so it's a little hard to get back into things just so many memories, but as I tell the kids life has to move on and I'm sure their grandparents would be proud of us. Take care all

Attachments

• next year's problem.jpg
    next year's problem.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 176
  • almost done.jpg
    almost done.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 157
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 178
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 209
  • excavator.jpg
    excavator.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 192
  • boom sprayer.jpg
    boom sprayer.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 210
   / field clearing #7  
I don't think the pictures lie; you've already made tremendous improvement to that field. There still looks to be some rocks, but most of the debris is cleaned up. Nice job!

What is your plan for the field? Do you plan to grow crops or just plant in grass and mow or hay the field? Most of the limbs around 1" diameter will deteriorate over a couple of seasons, especially if they get chopped up by a cultivator. Fertilizer will also accelerate their rotting. It seems you are on the right path for whatever you want to do. It's slow and tedious, but from an observer's viewpoint, you are doing a great job.

/ field clearing #8  
Looking good radium thanks for the pictures.
I live in Orange co. ny , and was wondering what county you're in.

If you arent to far away and you and your brother ever need some help clearing let me know I am always looking for an excuse to get some seat time in my tractor and would be happy to drag up some rock piles ( not for hire of course...just a helping hand)

I travel between here and green co. to a friends fathers house every few weeks to brush hog the property around his house .

Lone Oak

/ field clearing
It always seems that people that love the land are always decent and considerate people, but I'm a little too far for you about 210 miles north but thanks for the offer, around here we usually all help each other just yesterday I disk my neighbors fields and today he's helping me rock out a field. As far as the cleared fields they will be planted hay and oats, and I'm also putting in a few acres of pumpkins locals just can't seem to get enough at Halloween last year I was surprised how many we moved. The rest of the farm will probably take one more year to finally be done the whole project has been going on for about six years so not bad 30 years to get this way and seven years to clean it up. Thanks again for everyone's input and information over the years I find these forms to be most helpful as a matter of fact I'm going to post a new thread question has anyone put a vertical exhaust on a TC 55 or can it be done at all it just blows too much dust the way it's aimed now, it's worse than the rock bucket going through the loose soil plugs the air filter right up.

Attachments

• rock bucket.jpg
    rock bucket.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 207