Fieldstone Foundation Pointing: Mortar

/ Fieldstone Foundation Pointing: Mortar #1  

DAP

Veteran Member
From Orange County NY to Lincoln County ME
Tractor
JD LX288 and a B7800
Has anyone repointed or grouted an old fieldstone foundation wall?

I need to find the best most suitable mortar material, as in, can I buy a product ready made for this?

I learned the hard way that ya can't just squirt in or press in any old type of cementious material, so I'm looking for the appropriate substance.

I plan on using a 'grout bag'.

This is on an outer foundation wall, actually a corner on a 200 yo foundation. Not a terribly large section either, say about 3ft h x 4ft len at a corner.

Thanks

/ Fieldstone Foundation Pointing: Mortar #2  
Doug

You need to find out what type of mortar was used originally on the wall. Older mortars contained more sand and lime and react differently than newer, harder mortars. Older brick buildings that are repointed with new hard mortars sometime spall the bricks because the different mortars react differently to moisture and thermal changes. If the older mortar is soft and sandy you may want to make a thinner mixture with more sand and lime. I believe that Fine Homebuilding had articles on this.

RonL

/ Fieldstone Foundation Pointing: Mortar
Ron, I understand .. and I'm not sure it will be an issue. This particular section has lost a lot of whatever the last batch of mortar was. The foundation is still in great shape though, I just want to fill out this one section.

Being over 200 years old, I'm sure this was a classic sand and lime putty mortar orginally. I won't have any issues putting a contemporary material in aslong as it works and doesn't damage the foundation. I'll even add some white pigment to it if necessary to get that lime thing goin on.

Just no sure what exactly I can/should use in this situation.