Ballast Filling tyres revisited

/ Filling tyres revisited #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
So now weve established that fish would not work out in filled innertubes as the chips would go soggy, antifreeze attracts animals, Bonehead found some stilton, John and Bird dont like their beer ice cold and filling the tube may cause condensation on the rim.

So now im thinking about it even more.
So say I paint the rims so no rust from condensation. Thats one problem resolved.
I want to keep the inner tubes, thats final.
I want to put water in them because its cheap.
I need something to stop the water freezing in the winter (like the B6000s cooling system /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) Any ideas, you guys dont seem so keen on antifreeze, we use a fountain in the pond but Im not sure that would work in this situation.
Do I fill them up 100% or up to the valve in the 12:00 position?
How much weight would I add with filling both 18-8-9.50 tyres with water?
Will filling them make it easier to make ruts in the rain like a real tractor does?
Will it make it easier to pull the plough?
How much more would it hurt when I run over my toe?

Another idea was to fill them with beer because that doesnt freeze at any temp were likely to have here and also you could have a little sip (big gulp) if the going gets tough. Thoughts?
Cheers man

On a totally unrelated note, guess who had a go on a Combine Arvester on sunday. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif OOOOO ARRRRRRR OOOOO ARRRRRRR OOOOO ARRRRRRR /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif #deleted risky comment# /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Filling tyres revisited #2  
The beer sounds like a good idea to me. Generally, regular antifreeze is not recommended, solely because if it leaks out and an animal drinks it, it's poison. I'd probably use something else next time myself, however, regular old Prestone antifreeze is what I used in my B2710. And no, you do not want to fill them 100%; you'll bust one if you do because, while air compresses and provides some cushion, liquid does not, so they'd be solid. Fill from 75% to 80%. I jacked up my tractor, one rear wheel at a time, just enough to take the weight off that tire. With the valve stem at the top (12 o'clock position), I filled them until water came back out the valve stem (about 80%). I don't know how much your tyres will hold. I put in two gallons of antifreeze in each of my rear tires, then finished with water. And yep, ought to make good ruts in the mud, pull the plough easier, and you won't notice much difference when you run over your foot.

/ Filling tyres revisited #3  
BIRD,
Iam kinda new on this loaded tire thing,i had mine done,when i bought it.However i got a front flat in which i plugged,but dont know how to get the "load 'back in. how do you get it in the valve stem? you dont take the valve stem out and pour it in do you,of course you dont at 12 oclock the stem coming out would be uphill. SORRY I DONT HAVE A CLUE HOW ITS DONE...ENLIGHTEN ME.Can you use that 20 below windsheild washer?ok enough rambling...what tool do i have to buy this time.
ALAN

/ Filling tyres revisited #4  
Alan, you don't remove the valve stem, but you do remove the valve core from the stem. Walmart, or any auto parts store, has the tool for that; and some valve stem caps are made for that purpose. After that, it depends on what you're going to load the tires with. I know calcium chloride has been popular in the north; don't know of any place to get it or anyone who would use in my part of the country because of its corrosive qualities. For water, you can use an air/water adapter that goes on your garden hose. Tractor Supply Company, and many tractor dealers, have those. Remember that even if you're just putting water in the tires, your water pressure is probably more than the pressure you'd want to put in a tire, so you put some in, let out some air, put more water, let out air, etc. That's what the air/water adapter does for you. Now those tools are cheap, but I had my own homemade tools that I used. For other things, such as antifreeze, there are a variety of pumps made that will work, and although slow, you can even use a plastic squeeze bottle with a short piece of neoprene hose just big enough to fit onto the valve stem and the bottle outlet (one like some of the tire leak preventatives use).

Windshield washer fluid will work fine, in my opinion, and a number of our members have used it. It's not as heavy as the calcium, but for my purposes at least, it's heavy enough. And if that's what you're going to use, you just need a litlte pump, the valve core tool, and some tubing or hose to pump it in.

Of course, I think the first thing I'd do is ask whoever loaded the tires initially what they put in them.

/ Filling tyres revisited #5  
Mith; I was going to suggest windshield washer fluid myself. That shouldn't freeze and it's pet safe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There are also nonpoisonous antifreezes out there. One that comes to mind is the stuff like you'd use in your caravan. I wouldn't do it, but I've heard you can drink it if you have to! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Probably would try it if I was stranded in the Gobi though! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I wonder who it could be that had a go on an Arvester? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifNo, it couldn't have been you, could it? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Filling tyres revisited #6  
I think this will help you, its almost as heavy as CaCl
The website is helpful on how many gallons and total weight
based on size tire....You will need to find a local dealer from their website....lots of good feedback on this stuff

http://www.ballaststar.com/rimguard_spec.php

RimGuard

/ Filling tyres revisited #8  
Ben, I take it you don't know what was meant by "RV antifreeze". I don't remember what the chemical composition is, but RV dealers and service places (I think even Walmart) have a non-toxic antifreeze (I guess it's all still pink in color) that RVers use to "winterize" the potable water system of their RVs. You can just drain the water system, but almost invariably there will be a low water line, water heater, or something that you don't get all the water out of unless you really know what you're doing. RV service folks replace lots of frozen and burst water heaters. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif So you just dump that pink stuff in the water tank, run the pump to circulate it, and leave it in there until the next time you want to use the RV. The stuff is not for drinking. You flush it out when you use the RV, but it supposedly won't hurt you to drink it.

/ Filling tyres revisited
Thanks guys, think im nearly at the point where im ready to try the task.
So windscreen washer fluid sounds good, should I dilute this with water? Is it gunna be expensive, a bit poor right now, who knows I might have to do some work (first time in 4 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)?
Is this gunna be ok and not eat the inner tube and tyre?
How about I put some baby powder inbetween the tyre and tube to absorb moisture, good idea or neigh?

No John it wasnt me who had a go in a harvester, it was the Queen of England. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Yea it was me, did a proper job too, and it didnt break down /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The guy even laughed when I smacked my head on the grain offloading chute when I was climbing down the ladder to get off, well most of the people watching laughed too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The good thing about the day was the boss around here may have given the go ahead to allow me to buy an old fergie tractor /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif YEE HAAA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Filling tyres revisited #10  
You normally would not dilute the windscreen washer fluid, but it depends on how cold it gets where you live. I know farmers in my area used plain water, said it doesn't get cold enough to freeze very often and even if it does they won't be using the tractor during that time, so damage is unlikely if you don't move the tractor while the water in the tires is frozen. Never heard of using baby powder to absorb moisture, although some tubes used to come with a powder on them (maybe they still do) or tire workers used powder on dry tubes and tires to ensure that the tube fit smoothly inside the tire with no wrinkles. When I put a tube in a tire, I always inflate it without the valve core in it, then let all the air out to let the tube relax, then inflate it again. I think that is usually sufficient to ensure the tube has no wrinkles in it. And the windscreen washer fluid will not hurt the tube or tyre, unless you have something different on that side of the pond than what we have. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif