Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200

/ Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 today.

Originally I was going to make a bracket that u-bolted to my canopy's front posts to eliminate any chance of knicking the electrical cables running inside; but to get the square u-bolts I needed would require them to be custom made.

I decided to just mount the Kidde brackets to the posts directly using the shortest 8-32 HFHCS (Hex Flat Head Cap Screws) I could obtain at the local hardware, which turned out to be 3/8" long; though I would have gotten 1/4" if they had them. Since the screws are short, I used blue Loctite for added security. I had a second bracket, so I put it on the right hand post and will get an extinguisher for it later. Hopefully the plastic brackets will hold up.

The third photo shows how I controlled the depth of the drill bit. It's a piece of BIC ballpoint pen housing, and this worked great as there was a cable that would have been damaged had I just used a naked drill bit.

Attachments

• DSC03438.JPG
    DSC03438.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC03439.JPG
    DSC03439.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC03437.JPG
    DSC03437.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 249
   / Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 #2  
Looks good- that is on my list of things to do too before the dry season comes up. I'm thinking of getting a little bigger unit though- don't know if I can fit a 5" dia one on someplace, but I like the idea of a little more fluid.

/ Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200
Thanks ZephranT, that's why I put the second bracket on so I can hang another extinguisher.

What I like about the small Kidde's is that they are easier to tuck into limited space than a large unit. This one doesn't interfere in anyway with the left/right brake pedals or getting on/off the tractor.

/ Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 #4  
I've been thinking that my most likely use of one would be on a small brush fire, and it is hard to guess how much liquid is "enough". It depends on how fast I notice of course.

But I've got nothing right now, so maybe a pair of them like you have would be perfect. I don't have those front canopy posts yet though, so might have to put them elsewhere... They sure don't go out of their way to put any storage on these things do they? I don't even have a place to put a crescent wrench to use to snug up the pivot bolt on the blade.

I do keep a hose at the well head (700 ' downhill from the house) as well as at the front and back of the house. Last year a brush clearing contractor stole my hose at the well, then denied it. Like someone else happened to drive up the road 100' and take it on the exact day he was cleaning up and heading out, when it had been fine for 7 years.... Guess he won't be invited back again, but it still ticks me off- it was about the only time that I bought a high quality hose....

Z:

The way I look at it, something is better than nothing and we have dry conditions in Colorado as a normal occurrence, so I feel better I can at least spit at a possible fire.

I hear you on the storage space issue. One of the advantages of old fashioned flat fenders are plenty of flat place to mount stuff. The new curvy organic fenders don't lend themselves to mounting toolboxes, etc.

Like you, I need a toolbox, and I'm still trying to find a good place for one.

/ Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 #6  
Z:
Like you, I need a toolbox, and I'm still trying to find a good place for one.

I would like to put a tool box on mine, but can't really find a good place.

Did you start on your cab yet???

I put my fire extinguisher on the cover of my fuse box.

Last edited:
No such luck on the cab yet JD4300. I and others keep coming up with other things for me to do that take priority.

Does having the fire extinguisher on the fuse panel cover give you any grief entering and exiting the tractor?

/ Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 #8  
No such luck on the cab yet JD4300. I and others keep coming up with other things for me to do that take priority.

Does having the fire extinguisher on the fuse panel cover give you any grief entering and exiting the tractor?

Where you mounted yours, looked like you was starting on the frame work for a cab:D

The posts are primarily meant to stabilize the canopy from bouncing and vibration; but yes, they are also intended to serve as the beginnings of a cab.

/ Finally added a fire extinguisher to my 4200 #10  
The posts are primarily meant to stabilize the canopy from bouncing and vibration; but yes, they are also intended to serve as the beginnings of a cab.

Those post where you put your fire ext. look good.

I liked that cab on that 4310, he said he would start a thread on how he built it.