Finally fixed the Squeak

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
I finally got around to fixing my squeaking steering wheel on the RTV 500...I popped the steering wheel nut cover, took the nut off with my fingers...it wasn't even snug :confused2: and then I pulled it right out. After the wheel was off I pulled the rubber bushing and sprayed the inside and outside of the bushing with Fluid Film and sprayed the shaft with fluid film as well. It's nice and quiet now. :clap: Hopefully it stays that way for awhile :D

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #2  
Thx for the info, I need to do that, my steering wheel sounds like a goose.

/ Finally fixed the Squeak
Mine did also, the sad part is I looked at a rental unit that had 69 hrs on it and I wouldn't buy it because I couldn't stand the squeak and then mine started it at around 10 hrs :laughing:

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #4  
I guess I am one lucky guy from reading all the uh-ohs on RTV from fogging fuel gauges to not working fuel gauge, squeaking steering, hard shifting, no shifting ,etc. I have had none of those problems with my 2006 RTV 900. I did have a pretty good rattle in the back bed but that fixed easily by just dropping the tail gate and giving the bed a good shove that bent it to the inside and tightened the gap and quietened the rattle

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #5  
I had always heard that most problems were caused by the loose nut behind the stearing wheel. Glad you finaly found the problem.

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #6  
I had always heard that most problems were caused by the loose nut behind the stearing wheel. Glad you finaly found the problem.

:laughing:

"Hats off" to your son. :drink:

It takes a lot of guts to be in the service these days.

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #7  
This is an old thread, but applies equally well to new squeaks. Thanks to the OP for the tip on this. I had pulled the steering wheel, but it wasn't obvious the rubber bushing was the problem. After wrestling it out, I noticed there are several rib depressions around the bushing's inside diameter that are supposed to hold lubricant. Gave it a good layer of a silicon based water resistant grease, re-assembled it and the geese aren't following me down the driveway anymore.

/ Finally fixed the Squeak #8  
This is an old thread, but applies equally well to new squeaks. Thanks to the OP for the tip on this. I had pulled the steering wheel, but it wasn't obvious the rubber bushing was the problem. After wrestling it out, I noticed there are several rib depressions around the bushing's inside diameter that are supposed to hold lubricant. Gave it a good layer of a silicon based water resistant grease, re-assembled it and the geese aren't following me down the driveway anymore.
Yep, I had to grease the steering wheel bushing once a year in a RTV500. Not a big deal once you figure out the problem. I've only had to do it once in my RTV1100.