Finally got my courage up

/ Finally got my courage up #1  

square1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 4x4 w/ FEL
Two big (~24" & 28" DBH) dead ash leaning over my trail through the woods. Both had poison ivy that I cut at the base early in the spring and the bigger one had a 10" cedar hung up in it. Pulled the cedar free with the 1700.

01.jpg

Cleared my escape routes. Cut a shallow steep notch to try to steer it away from the black walnuts growing in the area

02.jpg

Drew a line around the trunk with my saw then plunged & bored out the center

03.jpg

Bulls eye! (Sorry this pics a little fuzzy, I was shaking pretty good after she hit the ground :eek:)

04.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but it popped pretty good when I was cutting the trigger from the center out. That was my queue to run for the hills.

05.jpg

/ Finally got my courage up #2  
Thumbs up on boring through the trunk and cutting back from there. Much safer and goes a long way toward preventing barber chairing.

Ever since I learned this method, there's no going back.

/ Finally got my courage up #3  
Well done :) never can be careful enough when dealing w/dead trees.

/ Finally got my courage up
Thanks. I wanted them down on my terms. Feel a lot better about mom taking walks through the woods now too.

/ Finally got my courage up #5  
Thumbs up on boring through the trunk and cutting back from there. Much safer and goes a long way toward preventing barber chairing.

Ever since I learned this method, there's no going back.

How's that work??

/ Finally got my courage up #6  
How's that work??

You cut the face (or notch), then bore through the trunk and establish the hinge. Then cut back away from the hinge. Leave a "trigger" strip that you cut once the coast is clear.

I learned from FISTA. Great organization.

I can't get the link to post, but googling "bore cut tree" brought up a good PDF from the university of Illinois.

How's that work??

Plunged in from both sides and bored out all the wood between the vertical red lines. The fun part is trying to meet in the middle ;)

03.jpg

You can see where the trigger / holding strap was inside the oval. You take that out with your fastest saw at WOT, listen closely, watch carefully, and beat a hasty retreat at the first sign of the tree starting to go.

05.jpg

Last edited:
   / Finally got my courage up #8  
Plunged in from both sides and bored out all the wood between the vertical red lines. The fun part is trying to meet in the middle ;)

View attachment 400610

You can see where the trigger / holding strap was inside the oval. You take that out with your fastest saw at WOT, listen closely, watch carefully, and beat a hasty retreat at the first sign of the tree starting to go.

View attachment 400609

If the tree is leaning, or you've got wedges to ensure it tips, you can cut that trigger a few inches below the main cut. The wood pulling apart acts as a brake and slows the tree at the beginning of it's descent.

^^^ Good to know! ^^^
Thanks.

/ Finally got my courage up #10  
You bet. The FISTA instructor said that he's cut the trigger from the outside on a heavily leaning poplar tree 18" below the main cut. Then you stand back and listen as it crackles and pops and tips.