Find the settings.

/ Find the settings. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I was practicing yesterday and spent a little time with flux core, no gas. I was using a Lincoln MP210. In the setup, you tell it what you are welding and it selects the settings. You have the ability to adjust the wire feed speed and the volts different than recommended.

I made a weld on 14ga steel and promptly burned thru. I reset the machine for 16ga steel and it worked very well. Next I tried welding a piece of 3/16" to the 14ga. It was OK but, just to see what difference it might make, I decided to turn the voltage up a small amount (I don't remember the settings, should have written them down).

The slight increase in voltage made a major improvement. Far less spatter and much smoother weld. In looking at the backside of the 14ga steel, I can see heat marks but no burn thru. I assume that means I was getting good penetration on the thin metal. Since I concentrated the heat on the thick metal and drug the puddle down onto the thin metal, I would think I also got good penetration on the thick metal.

Anyway, I've realized I don't really understand the relationship between wire feed speed and voltage for this type of welding. I'll do some research but thought I'd ask here.

I've gained a ton of knowledge from those of you here. Thanks, in advance.

/ Find the settings. #2  
You found the Sweet Spot. Different wire brands have different characteristics so the suggested settings will not always be spot on but only a place to start.

/ Find the settings. #4  
Buford, I've had the similar experience with "Autoset", I started with the earlier transformer version of the Miller mm211 - then found a half-price deal on a MM252 with 2 large tanks and a never-used 30A spool gun; sold the 211 to a friend (gave him nearly as good a deal as I got:D ) - then later found I missed the smaller machine for SOME stuff, so bought the newer INVERTER mm211 - (also has Autoset, with even more options) - (kept the MM252, LOVE that machine for anything that doesn't require portability)

Point is, I asked a Miller tech about the burn-thru - his response was that the autoset was based on FILLET welds (basically making angle iron out of two flat bars) - he advised me to do what you and I both did, which is set the autoset for one size smaller than you're welding (for thinner gauges/NOT fillet situations) -

I'm guessing your 210MP may have been set up the same way for same reasons... Steve

Oh, and I STRONGLY second Dale's 2 links above :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Find the settings.
Great info, all. I'm enjoying the links, Dale.

Thanks!