Finish for weathered table

/ Finish for weathered table #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Here's a table I built a few years ago to hold my Big Green Egg. I finished with a polyurethane (spar varnish) meant for outdoor use, but the wood has faded considerably and now is a grey color, typical of unpainted and weathered wood. My question, is there a way to (a) restore some of the old color, and (b) finish it with something that will last?

100_3411.jpg

Last edited:
   / Finish for weathered table #2  
I have an acacia table with my Egg and it looks well used (it is!) considering it’s less than a year old.

Post a picture of the table, that might help someone offer a game plan.

/ Finish for weathered table
I have an acacia table with my Egg and it looks well used (it is!) considering it’s less than a year old.

Post a picture of the table, that might help someone offer a game plan.
Posting a picture not in my computer files is quite an ordeal, but I'll see what I can do.

/ Finish for weathered table #4  
Surely there is an oil stain that will restore some of the colors. Light sanding on exposed surfaces before any treatment could help also

/ Finish for weathered table #5  
Am I the only one who doesn't know what a Big Green Egg might be? That looks like a nicely built table.

If you own a smart phone, the TBN app simplifies the process if posting pictures.

/ Finish for weathered table #6  
For varnish, all that I know to do is strip, sand and refinish.

For tables like yours, I prefer linseed or tung oil. It darkens over time, but it is food safe, and you can add more oil whenever you want. If you want the lighter color, varnish, and just plan on redoing the varnish each spring or two.

I think that looks like it is a great design for a table to go around a green egg. I am surprised though that the wood doesn't heat up.

All the best,

Peter

PS a green egg is a BBQ cooker/smoker.

/ Finish for weathered table
Here's a picture. The Egg sits on a slab of granite that I bought from a cabinet top place.

BGE table.jpg

/ Finish for weathered table #9  
So is the first picture the original color as built and the second picture after a few years use? How muc time between pictures? Seems like the original varnish didn't hold up. Was it a quality brand. Might try a varnish used by the boating industry. They might have better additives for the weather abuse. I used a boat varnish on a dinning room table I built because I did not want to worry about water stains from sweating glasses. Has held up over 10 years, but this is inside the house. Love the original looks. Jon

/ Finish for weathered table #10  
You can easily sand cedar back down to the original red color, the gray layer isn't usually very deep and it will look like new again. Be careful about breathing much cedar dust in as you sand.

True marine spar varnish is pricey but is what you need. It still won't be permanent but a good quality will last a lot longer.