Finish Mower Gearbox Ratios

/ Finish Mower Gearbox Ratios #1  

Daver1963

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800DT w/LA524 FEL, Cub Cadet XT1
I ordered a new gearbox for my 72" Countyline Rear Finish Mower from AgriSupply. I was so busy paying attention to the in and out shafts of the gearbox that I didn't take note of the ratio. The gearbox that comes on the mower is a 1:1.19. What I ordered and received is a 1:1.47.
Can I install this one and just run my PTO slower or is it just better to get the right one?

/ Finish Mower Gearbox Ratios #3  
You will probably get a better quality cut with the faster blade speeds. Both ratios sound like pretty slow blade speed for a finish mower. Guess it depends on what size pulleys it has.

My 72" Agmate from Agri Supply came with a 1:2.83 and I went to a larger pulley to get some more blade speed out of it.

/ Finish Mower Gearbox Ratios #4  
You will probably get a better quality cut with the faster blade speeds. Both ratios sound like pretty slow blade speed for a finish mower. Guess it depends on what size pulleys it has.

My 72" Agmate from Agri Supply came with a 1:2.83 and I went to a larger pulley to get some more blade speed out of it.
I agree, ~4000FPM with a 25" blade. If its like my 84" deck, the gearbox drives a large pulley which drives smaller pulleys on the spindles.

Aaron Z