Rear Finish Mower Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #31  
Thanks Gary,
I appreciate the info. By the way, I went to I.U. for both undergrad and grad work. (Bloomington) Those folks in Indiana sure are a nice lot. I have nothing but good memories from those years. I think I'll stop right here before I say too much!!!!! Brett W

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge
Brett, I went to look at the one Woods RD tonight. My only regret was that I didn't have my camera with me./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Walking into this man's shop was an amazing experience./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Everything was spotless! The tires on his tractor were shiny!! Even the tines on his box blade were clean!!! I was about sold before I even saw the mower.

After I did I paid him what he was asking without even a moment's hesitation. When I asked when would be a convenient time for me to come back and pick it up tomorrow he offered to put it on his trailer and follow me back tonight.

All I could think was how embarrassed I'd be when he turned into my drive after seeing his place./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I was about half afraid he'd change his mind about selling it to me./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif I made an excuse of having a couple other stops to make yet tonight./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif I'm going to get it first thing in the morning so he can get his new Grasshopper mower out of the middle of his floor./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Re: Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharg

<font color=blue>"The finish mower does take more power than the brush hog."</font color=blue>

I always thought it was the other way around./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif My Deere brochure shows my machine compatible with a five or six foot finish mower but only compatible with the five foot brush hog and not with the six foot model. Am I missing something?

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #34  
Re: Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharg

Gary,

You're not missing anything. For a given size the brush hog will take less HP to mow grass than a finish mower. It is designed to mow small brush as well which takes more HP than mowing grass, thus the smaller recommended size.

The advice given in posts regarding "what size brush hog should I get" is generally bigger if you're just mowing pasture, smaller if you are clearing jungle.

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #35  
I am also checking out rear discharge mowers. Have been
looking at Land Pride and Woods. Do you know of a website
that has info on First Choice? Thanks

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #36  
gary: i had a kk side discharge and it was ok, but now i have a befco rear discharge and there is no way i would get side dis. again. just make sure the rear discharge has a chain guard along the back.

I picked up my new used Woods RD7200 this morning and it has a chain guard on the back./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Now, from what I understand here, I need to brush hog this 3'-4' high grass of mine before I even try using my new finish mower on it./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

I guess the good news is I get to shop for yet another toy (a brush hog)./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Always look on the bright side./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The less than bright side might be a little conversation I need to have. "But, honey, the guys at TBN said I need to get ANOTHER mower to use before I can use THIS mower, see?"/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #38  
Gary,

As long as there isn't brush, rocks, logs etc. lurking in the grass, you won't hurt the finish mower using it to cut the 3' grass. It will just be slow going. I say fire her up while you do the brush hog research (which you NEED for your "field" out back).

Happy cutting

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #39  
Gary,
I have a Woods RD8400 w/chains and front roller. Aside from mowing over my wallet last year /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I love it. Cuts great!! Front roller keeps it from digging in the dirt in my less than flat yard.
Nick

On bad point - kicks up a pretty good dust storm in dry dusty parts of the yard.

<font color=blue>"As long as there isn't brush, rocks, logs etc. lurking in the grass"</font color=blue>

If I only knew the answer to that question./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

I'm pretty sure I'd OK on the biggest section between the road and first treeline (pretty sure, but not 100%). The 12'-15' wide strip on the far side of the drive and the ditchbank make me nervous./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif I think a brush hog first might make for less anxious mowing the first time through./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'd hate to trash my nice new mower on it's maiden voyage here./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif