Finish mower sizing?

/ Finish mower sizing? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
OK, just kind of thinking out loud here, but sence all my lawn mowers died this weekend, and the 8N is just sitting there doing nothing, I was kind of thinking a finish mower would be kind of neat to have right now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif What size mower would an 8N run? I know I could use a 5' brushcutter, but what about a finish mower? Would a 6footer work?

/ Finish mower sizing? #2  
I have 20 pto hp 2200# tractor and a 6' 652# finishing mower is running great so i'd say if the 8n has 20 pto hp i'd work since 5' bush hog i'd say i'd get it done then..

/ Finish mower sizing? #3  
My JD 4200 HST has about 20HP at the PTO and Deere recommends a 5' brush hog and a 6' finish mower, for what that's worth.

I'm sure someone on here either has or had an 8N they used for finish mowing.

/ Finish mower sizing? #4  
Paul, the 8N will pull a 6-footer easily. How wide are the rear tires? Try not to go too much wider than that or you'll "hook" things as you go by. A rear discharge is the way to go...doesn't sling grass on the cars (like your old Ford) or the house (like your new one)! I have a 17 PTO hp Iseki tractor (4wd) and pull a 5-foot First Choice rear discharge.

/ Finish mower sizing? #5  
With your tractor make sure you get an overrunning clutch when you get your brushhog or finishmower otherwise you can get into all sorts of trouble. Ask anyone that ever tried to stop a tractor pulling a mower without a dual stage clutch and no overrunning clutch. I know a few people that almost got killed due to the momentum of the blades pushing the tractor into "bad" situations. One guy I know personally hit a tree and broke his leg. Just thought I would add this in case you were unaware. Harry Goodwrench, Fellow resident of Columbia County, NY

/ Finish mower sizing? #6  
my finishing mower doesn't push and i don't have a double clutch or o/r clutch of course i'm knocking on wood i quess.

/ Finish mower sizing?
Hey Harry. Columbia County people are just coming out of the wood work lately. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I do know about the ORC. One of the first things I will get when I get a cutter. Thanks.

/ Finish mower sizing? #8  
Yopu shouldn't have any problems with a 6' finish mower. In fact, I know of a really nice one for sale near Pittsburgh... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Gerald