Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions?

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #11  
Thanks, @oldnslo.

It seems the consensus advice is not to use the tractor for mowing in these conditions, but get a proper zero turn mower. I'll see if that's in the cards. I appreciate your input.

I’ve been down your road. I started out hoping to find a solution that was as least costly as possible. I had a ATV so I got a pull behind mower. Didn’t work out (way too slow and not big enough).

Then I got a tractor with 60 inch RFM. Works great on long, open flat areas. Still kind of slow.

Finally got a ZTR. Got a commercial model. Wow. Mows as fast as I can go, does berms. Goes around trees. Turns fast. Cuts time down by 50%.

MoKelly

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #12  
If it is your front tires doing most of the damage on turns (which is likely) swap your front tires to the opposite side where the tread is backwards, it will not cut as hard on turf and will still offer decent enough traction mowing brush and such on a hillside.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #13  
What I use on my 5 acres is a Husky 54'' ZT with the Kawasaki engine (there's a difference). And it has several buildings, a bunch of trees and other stuff to go around. Takes an afternoon depending on breaks but I also drive very slow, it's got ruts in it. These will go as fast as you want

We did it with a small tractor for a while and, frankly, it was a PITA. Plus, if I never see a MMM again, it will be too soon. I am convinced the MMM was invented by Torquemada. A pull behind ain't cheap and you end up having to use something else to get around the places the finish mower won't get. And the center of gravity is really low on a ZT. It can take on hills that you never thought possible, depending on your nerves. It will go places and do things I really don't want to go.

Just my $.02 and worth even less

Last edited:
   / Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #14  
If the ground is soft the "carpet trick" will leave tracks but without chevrons. Even with my JD 570 and uber wide R-3 turf tires will leave tracks. If I mow when the ground is soft.