Finishing Mower

/ Finishing Mower #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I currently have a Steiner 440 tractor with Steiner rough cut mower and a Ventrac power rake. I am looking into getting a finishing mower and have three questions
1 Steiner or Ventrac mower, is quality or features better one of the brands
2 Side discharge or rear discharge
3 Off set mower or not

Thanks

/ Finishing Mower #2  
I recently purchased the Ventrac 72" with hydraulic lift assist. Mine is side discharge and this GREATLY reduces the aggravation of chaff and dirt clogging the radiator screen. Mine is not the offset one. If you have duals, the offset one may have you leaving tire ruts in the uncut grass. The new Ventrac decks are very solidly built.

prs

/ Finishing Mower #3  
Enjoy reading all the ventrac post. Close to buying 3 year old and low hours 4500y with dual wheels, 72 finish mower and 72 plow. Will the finish mower cut 1 year old growth WV hillside? Any problems to raising the hydraulic lift a little higher and cut the field to about 6?8? Thinking of cutting each early fall and avoid buying tough cut. Let the deer graze it down through winter.
How would plow do moving snow on gravel driveway? Will the skid plates tear up the road?
What is good price to pay for all?
Appreciate any help.

/ Finishing Mower #4  
The deck only goes so high. It should still contact the ground with the roller and wheels or I could see a balance problem and potential wear because of the lifting arms constant holding weight. The skid plates on a plow isn't any different than a plow on a truck and as for a good price, isn't such a thing with a ventrac. Its not easy to purchase a used machine.