FIRE ANTS

/ FIRE ANTS #31  
I only try to fight them in my back yard where the dogs are, and at my gazebo by my pond. I like the Ortho white powder of death. It smells like death, but it kills them all in one night. It doesn't take very much, and it's easy to see where you have put it, but it does require walking around to spread it.

My neighbor said that he has fire ant killer added to his fertilizer that he has spread on his pastures. I forget what it costs, but he says it makes a huge difference.

One of the things that has surprised me by living here is my fear of the grass. As a kid in California, I used to run around barefoot and play in the grass. Even lay down on it and relax. Here in Texas, just wearing flip flops while walking in the grass is dangerous. I would never lay down on it, or even walk barefoot through it. The grass hides all sorts of biting/stinging critters that never stop attacking!!!!

/ FIRE ANTS #32  
I resorted to walking around and sprinkling this on each mound.... I don't know of a good way. Hopefully I learn a better way on this thread....

028221045_1.png
It works. I use Amdro in the spring and fall and carry this on my mower for new colonies during the summer

/ FIRE ANTS #34  
sj I'm about 20 miles from Hemingway. Lots of friends in that area.

A man will work himself to death with Amdro around here. Regent is a bit pricey at about $9/acre but 1 oz/acre can last up to 3 to 5 years.

/ FIRE ANTS #35  
What works with black ants is a mix 1/1 of borax and icing sugar in a platter by the nest. They eat and bring the poison to the queen and once the queen is dead, that's it! Now! will it work with fire ants?

/ FIRE ANTS
I thank everyone for the information. Still not sure the best way to go,
At my age, I will not be walking around the pasture putting anything out. A sprayer behind my tractor may be something I could work with, but the cost of the spray?

/ FIRE ANTS #38  
I thank everyone for the information. Still not sure the best way to go,
At my age, I will not be walking around the pasture putting anything out. A sprayer behind my tractor may be something I could work with, but the cost of the spray?
Drive around the pasture and scoop the insecticide from a bucket and scatter around the mounds.

/ FIRE ANTS #39  
Amdro is the original sprinkle granuals and it is effective. The real issue is that once a mound is dead other tribes are looking to invade and when they find new ground a new queen is born and half of the hive splits and moves to the territory, Just like the Mongols.

Please be sure the mound really has ants in it. Be aware that gopher tortoises, when the create a den, will run under ground pushing dirt. When they can't push it any longer the get under it and push it up. These pushups look, for all the world, like ant mounds. They are not; so don't wast your Amdro.

As for diesel, using that is simply poisoning your property and your water. Diesel will sink through the soil until it finds water and now your wells are put in jeopardy as well as any animal that drinks the water. Don't do it.

/ FIRE ANTS #40  
Amdro is the original sprinkle granuals and it is effective. The real issue is that once a mound is dead other tribes are looking to invade and when they find new ground a new queen is born and half of the hive splits and moves to the territory, Just like the Mongols.

Please be sure the mound really has ants in it. Be aware that gopher tortoises, when the create a den, will run under ground pushing dirt. When they can't push it any longer the get under it and push it up. These pushups look, for all the world, like ant mounds. They are not; so don't wast your Amdro.

As for diesel, using that is simply poisoning your property and your water. Diesel will sink through the soil until it finds water and now your wells are put in jeopardy as well as any animal that drinks the water. Don't do it.
A cup of diesel and a cup of gasoline mixed, then ignited is going to burn off and won’t poison soil or wells. Dumping diesel everywhere would be a problem.