Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
My 6-acre hayfield needed mowing (weeds about a foot tall in some places) to reduce the
fire hazard. We've only had about 11 inches of rainfall this year (1July through 30 June). Normal is 18 inches. This is the 3rd year of drought around here. With no irrigation available I did not plant a crop this year. Hence the weeds.

Sharped the blades on the 6-ft Hawkline brush hog similar to what I do for the riding mower to get a decent cut. To make this job easier a few years go I cut an access door in the top of the mower housing. A few minutes with the angle grinder and the job is done.

Got pretty good results with that sharpened blade. There are no rocks or other junk on the field so I mowed in third low (about 4 mph). I'll cut the fenceline and internal firebreaks Monday with the 7 foot tandem disc just to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• IMG_3821 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3821 (Medium).JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3818 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3818 (Medium).JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3781 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3781 (Medium).JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3780 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3780 (Medium).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 198
   / Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #2  
That cut-out is a pretty smart but especially safe idea. I wonder why they don't come from the factory like that? Also, what kind of crop do you usually plant?

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #3  
That cut-out is a pretty smart but especially safe idea. I wonder why they don't come from the factory like that?
The factory expects you to use the round hole (to the right of the gearbox in the pictures) to remove the blade and re-install it.

Aaron Z

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #4  
The factory expects you to use the round hole (to the right of the gearbox in the pictures) to remove the blade and re-install it.

Aaron Z

Really? Then why are my blade bolt nuts wired on with heavy gauge wire--from the bottom? :laughing:

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #5  
Really? Then why are my blade bolt nuts wired on with heavy gauge wire--from the bottom? :laughing:
Someone at the factory put them on upside down? They want to be able to sell you new bolts when you wipe out the tip of yours on a rock :D

Aaron Z

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog
That cut-out is a pretty smart but especially safe idea. I wonder why they don't come from the factory like that? Also, what kind of crop do you usually plant?

Kanota oats. Got a pretty good stand in 2009/10 season.

Kanota oats-1.JPGKanota oats-2.JPG

I planned to plant forage mix this year, but the extended weather forecast last Oct/Nov said below average rainfall (like the past two seasons). With no irrigation available I punted and let the field lay fallow.

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog

Aaron Z

Those bolts are a bear to get off. I'll only remove those blades if they are too beat up to resharpen.

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #8  
Those bolts are a bear to get off. I'll only remove those blades if they are too beat up to resharpen.

Do you have a big pneumatic impact wrench. That is what I use. Makes blade removal pretty easy.

When I was a kid we used to take the blades to our local blacksmith for truing up the cutting edges. The new blade won't take the heat and beat method.

Like the removable plate.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #9  
They sure were the first time I did it on my Bush Hog Squealer after more than 10 years. But I've taken them off since every year or two and they are not problem at all. Knowing how to do it helps, but not having 10+ years of rust helps more I suspect.

Terry

/ Fire season is here-time for serious mowing with the hog #10  
They sure were the first time I did it on my Bush Hog Squealer after more than 10 years. But I've taken them off since every year or two and they are not problem at all. Knowing how to do it helps, but not having 10+ years of rust helps more I suspect. Terry

Apply Fluid Film, or similar, when you reassemble and your problems will be reduced significantly.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet