Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #91  
Jason, Your idea of a nationwide certificate program is a good one. Several years ago, a nationwide CDL program was initiated for over the road truck drivers. It eliminated the wide discrepancies in the state regulations and made the rules the same for all commercial drivers from Maine to Mississippi.
The same thing could be done for us who use guns for hunting, recreational shooting or self protection. As someone said earlier, there are too many people walking around with guns that don't have a clue how to use them safely. We'd have to be careful though not to tie in a national gun registration program in with a training and certification program. I don't agree with the NRA on many things, but one I do agree with them on is the registration of all guns. That makes me nervous.

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #93  
Maury,
I for one would have no problem with a mandatory training course on parenting. Let's say we just expose potential parents to hygiene, nutrition, and basic first aid. We can also throw in some basics on education, milestones, and what to expect as kids grow up. Clearly making this mandatory isn't possible unless you enforce mandatory contraception. I would not have a problem with that either if you could come up with one that was completely safe, enforcable, and reversible. And if you really want a waiting period, we can talk about that too.
You are correct, doing that would save a lot more children than any gun law. Problem is, some people would feel that was oppressive government. Even I think it might lead to oppression, but it's a risk I'd take.
On the other hand, if the rich republicans put a 10mph bank zone bill through to protect their money, and the democrats said ok, in exchange for say the government following throught with the 40% reimbursement they promised for special education /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, then most people would just grit their teeth and think it was more silly government stupidity. Lucky for us independents, the republican party's problem isn't that they want more essentially useless laws.
Still, the real question isn't if there are more important areas the legislature needs to address than gun laws, there are. It also isn't if gun control gets too much attention, it does. Our government is trying to address taxes, gun laws, child abuse, unwanted pregnancies, social security, energy, the environment, foreign policy, nuclear weapons, bioterrorism... We're only talking about gun control. And just because it's low on the causes of juvenile death list, doesn't mean it isn't important. Some of the problems we know we can't fix, but maybe accidental gun related deaths and gun related crimes is a problem we can impact, if not fix.
You do what you can, and hope the big guy upstairs has a handle on the rest.
Todd
ps) i think this post may explain why doctors write so illegibly, covers up the poor spelling.

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #94  
Toddler

"Even I think it might lead to oppression, but it's a risk I'd take."

You have a LOT more faith in our government than I do. This is NOT a risk I'd take. How about having the govt. types in Lowell, Massachusetts decide who is suitable to raise children?

Check Dekker's post to this thread on 05/20/01 01:11 AM.

PS - I hate to shoot and run but I'm going to be out of town for a few days, check y'all Mon.

Maury Jacobs

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #95  
The praying mantis wonders whether it is wrong to kill the ant; he could after all eat a leaf.

The scorpion wonders whether it is wrong to kill the man; he could after all kill the mantis.

Zen paradox: Every morning the Buddhist blesses his shoes so that they may not injure an insect, unaware that happiness is a warm gutpile, and that the insect agrees with both propositions.

Buddha may not regulate my sword, but he may require a ROPS on my oxcart. Is this because my oxcart is more dangerous than my sword?

The pack of coyotes knows it is right to kill the unarmed man.

I do not believe killing animals unless I am surrounded by a pack of coyotes.

I believe in hunting and killing coyotes but not golden retrievers. I belive in hunting and killing deer unless the deer is owned by you. What principle orders my hunting beliefs? Is it something intrinsic to the nature of the canine, or the deer, or man, or Buddha? I'm not sure, but I am right and you are wrong.

Building a fine road through your property is good government; building one through mine is an interference with my property and constitutional rights.

Nuclear power plants become safe once my jacuzzi needs more electricity. And drilling in the arctic wildlife refuge becomes a sacrament once gas become too expensive for my SUV.

I am unalterably opposed to the death penalty, except when the victim is my daughter, unless the killer is my son, which means that since all victims and all killers are someone's sons or daughters, we as a society should all have the same consistent view as mine, and if you cannot understand this logic you are wrong in your beliefs on this issue.

I am unalterably opposed to abortion, except when it is my daughter who is impregnated or when I have impregnated your daughter, in which case the daughter involved should be able to have an abortion, in which case since all pregnant women are someone's daughters, I guess we as a society must collectively believe in abortion, as I do not except as stated above, and if you do not follow this logic you are wrong in your beliefs on this issue.

I believe that the entire abortion issue would largely disappear if society enforced restrictions against premartital and extramarital sex, moral conduct in which I firmly believe, except when I feel like bedding your wife or daughter.

I will vote for town speed limits, but speed when I feel like it.

I am opposed to all govenment interference except when I'm not. I believe that the philosopher-king should order human affairs except when they interfere with my affairs.

That's my ball; gimmee it back.

My daddy is bigger than your daddy.

Why do I have to go to bed when Johnnie can stay up?

I will scream if I don't get the nipple.

This is my egg to fertilize; no it's mine.

Honey, it's right to do it; no its wrong because I have a headache.

The insects will eat the gutpile. The insects will eat the golden reteriever, the coyote, the aborted fetus, the murderer and the murder victim.

All human life will ultimately end up in the belly of an insect, to then be excreted into the soil.

The soil awaits reincarnation, no Buddha, no Jesus, no Darwin.

An apple tree grows in the soil. Man appears. He eats the forbidden fruit and kills his brother, because he feels like it, and then decides to order and regulate the Garden.

Man thus begets the tractor. A blue tractor, no a green tractor, no an orange tractor, no a red tractor. No, no tractor (saith Eve).

Ah, have I been reincarnated into a noncontroversial TBN forum.

And the Ninth Buddha says: That which ends up in the belly of an insect should not be taken too seriously.

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #96  
Very nicely implied GrasshopperGlenn, I see Obi Wan has trained you well.
Todd

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #97  
Hmm, fishing at some of my ponds can be risky business if you aren't armed or snakeproof. Carying a rifle is impractical and not a good SHORT range defense device. Some shotguns would work effectively but are heavy and some clumsy to carry while fishing and negotiating logs, mud, etc. A hand gun in a handy holster is just the thing. Anything from a .22 on up loaded with shot shells (mini-shotgun) does the job and doesn't require Annie Oakley precision (hard to comeby when I am in close proximity to a cotton mouth, water mocasin, copper head, or... I don't seek out opportunities to kill snakes and they usually retreat B U T once in a while in a sticky situation it is good to be able to reach out and touch them. The comfort aforded to my wife and I is all out of proportion to the very small number of snakes shot. I do ID the species and DO NOT harm non poisonous varieties irrespective of proximity.

Patrick

P.S. If anyone reads this far... Firearm Regristration is the first step toward confiscation.

/ Firearms/NRA/Gun Laws #98  
glennmac,

Great post, ...loved it! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks for the time and thought you put into it!

[[[The praying mantis wonders whether it is wrong to kill the ant; he could after all eat a leaf.]]]

Ahhh, ...but the PREYING mantis does NOT wonder, It has no doubt. It simply does what is in it to do. It preys.

And if the "prayer" did NOT wonder, and if the "preyer" DID, each would be not itself, but the other, ... and so could not exist as SEPARATE parts of the whole. So the richness-of-experience of ALL would be diminished.

[[[The soil awaits reincarnation]]]

...and a fresh experience, uncolored by awareness or conscious memories of those past. Thus the "hidden" aspect of certain elements of truth, huh?

Pretty deep here. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Going up for air!

Larry /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif