Firewood business with my son

/ Firewood business with my son #21  
Great job, keep them busy with outside projects they will thank you later. 💪

Its TRUE!
And kids actually WANT direction and discipline. They might not agree with you or act like they don‘t. When their bodies are at rest is when the problems begin.
Heres my daughter battling 2 Appalachian State University field hockey players. She just got honored at 1/2 time of a game for making the Deans List as a bio-chem major and playing D-1 field hockey.
Born premature at 29 weeks and now tough as nails.

1647864920107.png

My kids now thank us for being very disciplined with them, but loving them with all we‘ve got.
Show them the way and find out the magic formula of what they are good at and what they love. Then guide them through the journey to follow their dreams.

1647865004654.png

/ Firewood business with my son #22  
I think we are going to do $5 bundles in a self pay kiosk as well. That $100 rick can bring $200 if put into bundles. Our gas stations and grocery stores sell it for $7.50 per 0.75 sqft. I think 1 sqft for $5 or $6 is a great deal. 42 sqft per rick = $210 for pick of bundles.

@2LaneCruzer I am sure I could get a bit more for that pecan but we are just going to sell it with our ricks and bundles. One of my spots I want to put a self pay firewood kiosk is at a BBQ joint. Maybe I will trade him some pecan for letting us use his spot.

Good plan on a kiosk. If you have a road frontage with good traffic that might become a good business for him.

I saw this video a while back on a kiosk made with pallets.

/ Firewood business with my son
My kids now thank us for being very disciplined with them, but loving them with all we‘ve got.
Show them the way and find out the magic formula of what they are good at and what they love. Then guide them through the journey to follow their dreams.
That really is the magic formula isn't it? My boy is 10 and is just starting to dive in to figuring out what he wants to be good at. I just know he is going to be amazing at something, we just haven't figured it out yet. Mama was as D-1 soccer star and a professional figure skater, so luckily he has those genes.

/ Firewood business with my son #24  
That really is the magic formula isn't it? My boy is 10 and is just starting to dive in to figuring out what he wants to be good at. I just know he is going to be amazing at something, we just haven't figured it out yet. Mama was as D-1 soccer star and a professional figure skater, so luckily he has those genes.
Yes sir!
It’s our duty as parents to help our kids find their passion. Whether its music, theatre, sports, 4-H, or a business passion, the great thing is when they are young, you can make sure that passion is one worth pursuing. If you don't, they may pursue passions that are dark or dangerous.

Last edited:
   / Firewood business with my son #25  
I figured out that piling wood was like hiring employees.
Depending on where you place the big end and where it is in the pile, can make the pile better or worse. There's a best place for almost every piece.
Employees are the same way- ya gotta find the best place to put them.
And there are a few pieces that just don't fit anywhere, so you toss them directly in the stove, or on top so they don't screw up the pile.

/ Firewood business with my son #26  
I think we are going to do $5 bundles in a self pay kiosk as well. That $100 rick can bring $200 if put into bundles. Our gas stations and grocery stores sell it for $7.50 per 0.75 sqft. I think 1 sqft for $5 or $6 is a great deal. 42 sqft per rick = $210 for pick of bundles.

@2LaneCruzer I am sure I could get a bit more for that pecan but we are just going to sell it with our ricks and bundles. One of my spots I want to put a self pay firewood kiosk is at a BBQ joint. Maybe I will trade him some pecan for letting us use his spot.
Your local parks may take some as well.

/ Firewood business with my son
Pretty much sold out of firewood already this year. Sold a nice trailer load for $200 and a few smaller loads for a grand total of $290 worth of firewood. Not bad for a 10 year old. He is tickled pink with his fat wallet.
KIMG0005.JPG

We only had a few pallets full to sell this year, it was a bit of an afterthought this past spring to get this going. We now have all winter to stock up for next year. I told him if we work hard this winter we can sell a lot more next year. He is excited to up production and make some real money next year.

We never went the firewood kiosk route this year, ran out of time. It is always an option to maximize profits next year.

/ Firewood business with my son #28  
Thanks for the follow-up. That's cool.

I'm out of town so had to add my 16yo to my hay truck insurance so he could continue to make money off our work this year...well, we were money, holy crap the insurance doesn't want him driving a 25 year old 16' flatbed truck.

/ Firewood business with my son #29  
You are teaching him a lot of life lessons for sure. When it is all said and dome what he will appreciate the most however is getting to spend time with you. My Dad and I worked on projects for years. He has been gone a few years now but I still have those memories and all of the things that he taught me.

/ Firewood business with my son #30  
Lucky guy! With his 18 he will have a lot if useful experience