Firewood processing with a MF Tractor for all that burn wood in the winter

/ Firewood processing with a MF Tractor for all that burn wood in the winter #1  

MF RED in MT

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
This year I purchased a logging truck load of logs and intended to use the Backhoe with the thumb attached for cutting the logs into 18" rounds.

After much thinking because I know that this log cutting system would be a long/slow one for about 140 logs (from past experience), I purchased a Timber Tuff Grapple, A.K.A. a poor man's grapple.

After a few plan modifications, the grapple can pick up the logs without getting out of the cab, and I can cut up the complete log easily.

My woodshed holds about 20 cords of wood and its going to be full for the start of this winter.

It cost me about $100 for the grapple and the 18" receiver extension, and per cord cost for the logs is about $40 per cord.

Traveling with the one of the largest logs, the tractor is completely stable with the only counter weight being the Box Blade.

KC

20190730_111949_resized.jpg 20190730_130326_resized.jpg 20190730_130843_resized.jpg 20190730_134432_resized.jpg

/ Firewood processing with a MF Tractor for all that burn wood in the winter #2  
Looks like a useful tool. Never seen a bucket mount/hanger like that before. Did you fabricate it? Beautiful country you are in!

/ Firewood processing with a MF Tractor for all that burn wood in the winter #3  
Very interesting! I've never seen on e of those. Looks like I may have to get one... Also interesting that yours has 10 teeth per tong, whereas the one on Amazon's site has only three teeth at the tips of each tong. Did you add some there or did it come like that?

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 6.32.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-02 at 6.31.56 AM.png

/ Firewood processing with a MF Tractor for all that burn wood in the winter #4  
This TimberTuffGrapple is a strange design when one looks closely at the way it is made. Over the years I've seen many log lifting devices of similar shape -- some being used by hand for manually carrying small logs and others hoisted by a chain or other mechanical machine, crane or truck. What seems strange about yours is that there is no apparent "clamping effect" where the upward lifting force tends to grab the log harder. All the others I've seen had some center pivot that cause lifting forces to grab the log harder.

Does it seem to grab harder once you apply lifting force? If not why doesn't it drop the logs?

/ Firewood processing with a MF Tractor for all that burn wood in the winter
Yes, irvingj, I added 7 more teeth on each of the 4 tongs.

With only the original 3 teeth, I was having some issues with smaller logs grabbing above the teeth and not holding very well, and the smaller logs do not have the weight to have much pinching force.

langanobob, I purchased the grapple from the giant online Ama*** store, and purchased the 18" stock receiver tube from HF (welded a 1' long piece of 2" sq. tube inside) to fabricate the extension.

And yes, the wife and I are very blessed to live our retirement years here!

JWR, This grapple pinches very tight on logs about 8" in diameter x 18' long, but has a problem holding logs under 6" dia x 18' lg because theres not enough weight to the log (I have placed a truckers bungee around the grapple to help pinch and hold the smaller logs).

The heavier the log, the better it pinches and holds the log.

KC

B.T.W. 2 neighbors have sighted the same large lion (150 pounds + -) 4 days ago 1 hour before sunset, most likely trying to get new born fawns and twins in our area. About 4 or 5 years ago FWP hired a houndsman that removed about 8 lions from our area because the deer herd had been reduced (should of done this when the herd was down to 150 + -) to a few, now the wolves are killing for sport.