First issue with 1430, weak drive power.

/ First issue with 1430, weak drive power. #21  
I have had similar experiences to you and @marrt. Without mechanically tightening the filter on an oiled gasket, I get air bleeding in, and yes, I have tried both kinds of gaskets as well. Yes, I have also dented a couple of filters. These days, I try to ensure that the strap is right at the upper edge of the filter to reduce denting. I find fitting new gaskets to be a bit of a bear as well as it always seems that the gasket is too large a diameter, but, with perseverance, it goes in eventually.

Terry gave me the same advice to get it on as tight as I could when I had a persistent air leak at my first filter change. But, hey, @woodlandfarms if it works for you, "good on you" as the Aussies say. You must have a heck of hand grip.;)

All the best,

Peter
I've never used a wrench to put a filter on the PT. I just put it on until I can't turn it anymore with my hands. I make sure the filter is clean and so are my hands. I do have a decent grip strength, though.

Anyone here ever deal with sloan valves on commercial toilets? 50% of the time I can use my hands to remove the cap over the flush valve, not a wrench.

Never had a jar I couldn't open either, yet, many times my wife has to open my beer for me. Go figure. ;)

/ First issue with 1430, weak drive power. #22  
The filter on the 425 is in an awkward spot too! That’s amazing how you get that tight enough, although the filter is much smaller than ones for the 1430.

/ First issue with 1430, weak drive power. #23  
The filter on the 425 is in an awkward spot too! That’s amazing how you get that tight enough, although the filter is much smaller than ones for the 1430.
Mine's fairly easy to get to. I put several paper towels under it on the floor of the engine compartment. Then I crack it loose and make it snug again. Then I slip a 1 quart zip-lock freezer bag over it, and remove it. Most of the drips go into the bag. I do have to use a tool to remove it most of the time. But I never use a tool to put it back on.

659063CD-1994-4A85-9B8C-F4B74E6DDB8A.jpeg

/ First issue with 1430, weak drive power. #24  
Oh that’s right, you an earlier model 👍

Actually, the filter looks like it’s at about the same spot as the current model.

/ First issue with 1430, weak drive power. #27  
I have no troubles opening jars etc. and always just put filters on by hand in all other applications. I am using a Rigid strap wrench to tighten the filter and then checking for air bubbles, repeating until the bubbles stop. Everything is cleaned and oiled - I have never tried it dry but that sounds like a bad idea to me. Recently, I bought some high quality band filter wrenches and will see how they do. The Rigid dents the can even though I only use it at the top or bottom of the filter. Replacing the filter is one of a few things I hate about the PT. My tractor is a higher pressure tractor than a 425. Not sure if that makes a difference on the suction side or not but I can believe it does. What bothers me more is that Woodland has no issues. It is possible the filter assembly should be replaced but the main problem in my opinion is that a "low" (relatively speaking) pressure filter design is being used in a suction situation. I find it hard to believe the the "L" shaped gasket would not easily seal in the normal application of this filter.