First Marriage in your 60’s?

/ First Marriage in your 60’s? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
First Marriage at 60?

I guess 60 is the new 30???

My good friend spent a lifetime traveling and building his business… never married and no kids… some would say focused others would say workaholic.

He sold his business and set and he told me it’s time to settle down and I didn’t know what to say… not sure if he was kidding or not?

Then thoughts of being 65 and taking your kid to Kindergarten flashed in my mind…

Always thought these things were for Hollywood types…

Anyone 60 or older with young kids?

I do know several May November marriages but they were not first marriages or is having kids in the picture… one was 37 years older than his wife and 6 years in seem very happy.

/ First Marriage in your 60’s? #2  
Nothing wrong with that, but I hope he has found the right woman already - if not he need to get busy!

Or did he just get married?

Edit:
And not be surprised if some of the candidates come with couple of kids from previous relationship...

Last edited:
   / First Marriage in your 60’s? #3  
First Marriage at 60?

My good friend spent a lifetime traveling and building his business… never married and no kids… some would say focused others would say workaholic.

He sold his business and set and he told me it’s time to settle down and I didn’t know what to say… not sure if he was kidding or not?

Then thoughts of being 65 and taking your kid to Kindergarten flashed in my mind…

I do know several May November marriages but they were not first marriages or is having kids in the picture… one was 37 years older than his wife and 6 years in seem very happy.
I had a buddy that is 30 years older than his wife, I told him eventually the math don’t work correct, he asked what I meant, I said that eventually 70 don’t go into 40.

/ First Marriage in your 60’s? #4  
I think it's called May December romance. A good friend married an older man, he passed a few years ago at 96, they were about 20+ years apart. She said she married her father!
He didn't have money which is usually the case.
My wife is a year and 8 months younger than me and it works well since we remember the same things, 1950s-60s, music, etc.
I always mess with her about being a little girl!
My brother is 30 years older than his wife...not a good marriage.

/ First Marriage in your 60’s? #5  
First Marriage at 60?

Tony Randall....

Randall was married to his high school sweetheart, Florence Gibbs,[17] from 1938 until her death from cancer on April 18, 1992. They had no children. On November 17, 1995, at the age of 75, he married 25-year-old Heather Harlan,[18] an understudy from the production of The School for Scandal in which Randall was starring at National Actors Theatre; the ceremony was officiated by Rudy Giuliani.[19]They lived in a Manhattan apartment and bought a vacation apartment in Key Biscayne, Florida, in 2003. The couple had two children, Julia, born on April 11, 1997, and Jefferson, born on June 15, 1998—and remained married until Randall's death in May 2004.[20]

In his book Which Reminds Me, Randall maintained that any publicity that an actor generates should be about his work, not himself: "The public knows only one thing about me: I don't smoke."[21]

/ First Marriage in your 60’s?
Just about everyone in my circle would fall within 10 years with most within 5.

My retired Doctor friend was 67 and she 30…

Niether have children… she can’t and he says it’s not an option for him…

They travel a lot and seem very happy…

One of their hobbies is skeet shooting… I asked him if he thought it wise teaching his wife to shoot?

At the time my grandparents married it was common for the bride to be 18-20 and the husband 27-28.

I asked why and was told a man has no right to propose marriage unless he can provide and it takes time to be established.

Any exceptions and yes… the son taking over the farm already knew his future and married young to someone most likely also from a farm so everyone on the same page.

Being able to provide doesn’t seem to be an over riding concern anymore?

/ First Marriage in your 60’s? #7  
Just about everyone in my circle would fall within 10 years with most within 5.

My retired Doctor friend was 67 and she 30…

Niether have children… she can’t and he says it’s not an option for him…

They travel a lot and seem very happy…

One of their hobbies is skeet shooting… I asked him if he thought it wise teaching his wife to shoot?

At the time my grandparents married it was common for the bride to be 18-20 and the husband 27-28.

I asked why and was told a man has no right to propose marriage unless he can provide and it takes time to be established.

Any exceptions and yes… the son taking over the farm already knew his future and married young to someone most likely also from a farm so everyone on the same page.

Being able to provide doesn’t seem to be an over riding concern anymore?

Well, you know what they say, the #1 most likely person to kill a married man is his wife.

/ First Marriage in your 60’s? #8  
Tony Randall....

Randall was married to his high school sweetheart, Florence Gibbs,[17] from 1938 until her death from cancer on April 18, 1992. They had no children. On November 17, 1995, at the age of 75, he married 25-year-old Heather Harlan,[18] an understudy from the production of The School for Scandal in which Randall was starring at National Actors Theatre; the ceremony was officiated by Rudy Giuliani.[19]They lived in a Manhattan apartment and bought a vacation apartment in Key Biscayne, Florida, in 2003. The couple had two children, Julia, born on April 11, 1997, and Jefferson, born on June 15, 1998—and remained married until Randall's death in May 2004.[20]

In his book Which Reminds Me, Randall maintained that any publicity that an actor generates should be about his work, not himself: "The public knows only one thing about me: I don't smoke."[21]
I always liked Tony Randall.
Smart man!
2023_09_03_21.31.45.jpg

/ First Marriage in your 60’s?
Tony Bennett 40 years senior to his wife

1693792037028.jpeg