First Modification of the Year: Air Horn Install

/ First Modification of the Year: Air Horn Install #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
Added a cheap air horn to the tractor today and thought I would share the experience.

Bill of Materials:
1) 135 dB Super-Loud Air Horn from Harbor Freight (item#40134, $14.99) 12 Volt Super-Loud Air Horn
2) Momentary Switch purchased from Tractor Supply ($2.99)
3) Miscellaneous wire (12 and 18 Gauge) and connectors
4) 30 Amp relay (one comes with the horn but many people complain about it and recommend using higher quality)
5) 30 Amp Fuse Holder (12 gauge wire size)
6) Wire ties

Overall it went fairly uneventful once the switch, compressor and horn locations were selected. Only one hole needed to be drilled and that was for the switch. The compressor, relay and homemade horn bracket used existing attachment points.

The horns were mounted to the headlight assembly and sit below the lights behind the grill (basically in front of the battery). A piece of 1/8" x 1" x approximately 12 long piece of aluminum was uses to hold the horns to the headlight assembly studs.

The Compressor was mounted to the left of the battery (while facing front of tractor) on the off-white radiator/hydraulic cooler support. It is out of the way and there was an existing mounting hole.

The horn button was installed on the left side (while seated) of the steering column. I'd preferred a red button switch, but couldn't find one at the 5 stores I visited. (Didn't want to wait for a switch to arrive via the mail)

It functions as it should and is reasonably loud but the sound quality is not the greatest. Then again I was not expecting it to be. It's functional & loud and therefore meets my needs.

Total cost about $25 less wiring and connectors.

Sorry I did not take more pictures, but it is plenty cold out and wanted to save time Perhaps I will have a chance in the near future if anyone is interested.

Happy New Year!

Horn Button 01 with Arrow.jpg Horn Button Package.jpg

/ First Modification of the Year: Air Horn Install #2  
Added a cheap air horn to the tractor today and thought I would share the experience.

Bill of Materials:
1) 135 dB Super-Loud Air Horn from Harbor Freight (item#40134, $14.99) 12 Volt Super-Loud Air Horn
2) Momentary Switch purchased from Tractor Supply ($2.99)
3) Miscellaneous wire (12 and 18 Gauge) and connectors
4) 30 Amp relay (one comes with the horn but many people complain about it and recommend using higher quality)
5) 30 Amp Fuse Holder (12 gauge wire size)
6) Wire ties

Overall it went fairly uneventful once the switch, compressor and horn locations were selected. Only one hole needed to be drilled and that was for the switch. The compressor, relay and homemade horn bracket used existing attachment points.

The horns were mounted to the headlight assembly and sit below the lights behind the grill (basically in front of the battery). A piece of 1/8" x 1" x approximately 12 long piece of aluminum was uses to hold the horns to the headlight assembly studs.

The Compressor was mounted to the left of the battery (while facing front of tractor) on the off-white radiator/hydraulic cooler support. It is out of the way and there was an existing mounting hole.

The horn button was installed on the left side (while seated) of the steering column. I'd preferred a red button switch, but couldn't find one at the 5 stores I visited. (Didn't want to wait for a switch to arrive via the mail)

It functions as it should and is reasonably loud but the sound quality is not the greatest. Then again I was not expecting it to be. It's functional & loud and therefore meets my needs.

Total cost about $25 less wiring and connectors.

Sorry I did not take more pictures, but it is plenty cold out and wanted to save time Perhaps I will have a chance in the near future if anyone is interested.

Happy New Year!

View attachment 352854 View attachment 352850
Not a bad price, and you got it all wired up, good job. I was thinking of putting one on my tractor also.
Only I was thinking chrome and on top of my cab. How many blows until you run out of air? But then again all you usally need is one toot on the horn. Unless your in a parade or something. So I guess running out of air is not a problem.

/ First Modification of the Year: Air Horn Install
Waxman,

The supply air is created by a blower motor versus a compressor and tank storage system. Theoretically the blast could last forever if the motor didn't give out.

Chrome and a true air horn with compressor and tank setup would be better especially if the sound demanded more respect than this one.

FYI... All wire connections were soldered.

Since you have a cab, did it come with a horn? I see in the parts catalog that an electric horn is available and the switch is part of the headlight/turn signal switch.