first time garden

/ first time garden #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
This is the first garden I have ever had. The wife is the gardener here - I built the fence etc and she does all the "gardening". The asparagus we put in 2 years ago so this was the first harvest year. She picked every day for 2 weeks then decided to let it go to seed for next season. I put cedar logs around the perimeter then brought in good dirt and essentially made the whole thing a raised bed. I put the mask they used on me during radiation treatment on the fence for a scarecrow :laughing:.
She has a little of everything you can think of planted - I guess to see what will go good and what won't? The containers have carrots and lettuce and bell pepper in them. The fence will keep out the deer but I'm sure the rabbits will find a way in no matter. DSCN0170-1.jpgDSCN0168-1.jpgDSCN0169-1.jpgDSCN0167-1.jpg

/ first time garden #2  
Mike, if rabbits find your garden just attach a roll of 18" chicken wire along the bottom. If you plant corn, coons will invade and will have to be kept out electronically or by a good watch dog. Wherever there is bare ground weeds will grow, try to keep an organic mulch cover as soon as the ground warms. The area that gets shade in the afternoon is a good place for tomatoes with this scorching Texas sun.

/ first time garden #3  
Looks good! What is the tall plant in the last pic...dill?

/ first time garden
The area that gets shade in the afternoon is a good place for tomatoes with this scorching Texas sun. Don - the pic with Bernice - are 4 tomato plants and you can see half the garden is shaded in the afternoon. I've started building a greenhouse just on the other side of the fence from Bernice. It's a kit from mueller - but I'm missing some hardware that they had to order so on hold til it gets here. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow if UPS runs on good friday - if not then Monday. It's currently in San Antonio. I was really hoping to have it here so I could get son and son-in-law involved this weekend. There's a prehung metal double door that I wanted them to lift.

/ first time garden #6  
Looks good.

I am jealous of your sandy soil. The asparagus looks good. We put ours in last year. Harvested a bit this year. Next year should be great.

/ first time garden #7  
Looks good.

I am jealous of your sandy soil. The asparagus looks good. We put ours in last year. Harvested a bit this year. Next year should be great.

/ first time garden #8  
Your ahead of me! I keep talking about asparagus, but so far it has just been "talk":laughing: I will likely do as you have done and raise a bed for them, worked great at the last place we had.

/ first time garden
Looks good.

My sandy soil came in a truck. Which is why I have cedar logs lining the garden to keep it in place. I got it from Fenske in Elgin.