First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #31  
So lot of good advice already given. I’ll give you my experience after plowing about 35 driveways for about 10 years with a pickup, including several that were gravel. With 35 driveways that typically had to be knocked off in 3 hrs, I needed efficiency while not sacrificing a clean driveway that so many expected. And just for some context, that 3/4 ton truck with an 8’ HD Fisher plow, hardly Ever tore anything up, including lawns, co pared to the Jeep I have today with a plastic 6.5’ homeowners plow, that today I just do my own driveway with, I think you can translate some of my p/u experience to your tractor, though you do need to consider how far out that plow sits on the loader arms As well.

Back then, a Fisher Plow never scraped as well as a Western. It had everything to do with attack angle. So what others said about that is right on.Assuming it’s the same today see if you can see the Western vs Fisher attach angles. Yours is likely to scrape more aggressively with that angle. My little Jeep will rip up older asphalt no problem with a LIGHT plow.

I nearly always floated my blade, but that was on p/u. Other wise, I’d need a lot more time to plow, and frankly would have caused more lawn damage as I was trusting my touch repeatedly. Only time I didn’t float, was in beginning of season on gravel drives, I basically needed to create a a nice frozen layer on the gravel, then future plows were easier. The loader arms do present another animal, but constantly adjusting is of lot more work than float, so I’d consider trying the next item.

My game changer was a polyurethane edge. Yes, they are pricey, but they wear better than steel. I used one for 4-5 yrs, doing 35 drives, and just finished breaking a full edge ( it was 1.5” wide I think due to weight if plow). And, I coukd still flip it for another edge if needed.But, you literally may need to break in an angled edge or it can be cut in or routed in. I went to parking lot and drove backwards for awhile To get angle starting to wear in. When square and fresh they chatter, but once an edge is in, they work great. I could fly over gravel drives, no problem. Almost no ripping of lawns. And hit something, hard, and it absorbed the shock. A poly edge on a Fisher HD however being about 1.5” wide, did a terrible job backdragging. I added a swinging backblade to the plow, but again, I needed efficiency for all those drives. I would seriously consider that for your setup seeing how massive that blade is. I actually still have my edge, PM me if interested.

one last comment and each situation may vary. i never had good luck with shoes, same for many other residential plowers. Maybe it was the Fisher attack angle, but it rode up on snow too much, leaving too much behind.

on your crowned driveway, definitely take it in at least two passes, one each side. Consider a poly edge.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #32  
Honestly that is a dirt-pushing bulldozer blade, poorly suited to cautious snow removal. I don't really even understand why people manufacture those super robust, fixed blades for SSQA - they ought to be able to float independently of a 1200 lb loader assembly.

Adapted truck plows (as others have shown) with a chain to pull them up and let them float is literally putting ~1/3 the weight onto the plow edge vs your setup. Still plenty of weight for cutting through packed snow and ice, of course. And I still, still wouldn't even use one of those setups on my own gravel driveway without some big skid shoes.

In my 10 years of plowing a gravel driveway, I have learned that my gravel is precious, and raking it back out of the grass in the spring is just about the worst manual labor job there is. Right now I use a 7' rear 3-pt blade, and I use it in reverse (very gentle blade edge attack) until there is a packed snow base or the gravel is well frozen up. Traction on my snowpack base has been excellent for the last two weeks, but we have some freezing rain and thaw/freeze cycles on the way, could get nasty icy for a few days before the gravel pokes out..... tbd.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #33  
Be gentle, this is my first time plowing with my tractor as well as my first time with a fullsize plow. All noob jokes are expected. :)

I have an L3560HTC that I've added a 7-foot quick-attach plow to. She looks like this:
View attachment 843057

Yesterday was the first snow and I attempted to use the FEL's "float" mode where the plow is supposed to just glide smoothly over bumps and things like a happy little pillow. Only in my case it just shoved into the driveway and tried to dig up what little asphalt I have left. I have a couple theories as to why but wanted to ask the experts before I do something horribly (yet hilariously) wrong.

My thoughts are that perhaps it's related to the angle of the plow, or the lack of plow shoes, or some combination of the two? I figure that since it has such a large forward protrusion off the SSQA attachment that I just need to angle it more upward than level to make everything happy, but I worry that I'll end up just digging some other part of the plow into my driveway and not notice till it's too late. Does anyone have advice or a tutorial on the proper way to make this all work? So far I've only found generic "how to plow" videos on Youtube.
I intalled a sched 80 pipe across the edge of my plow blade. I didnt slice it like most do, I just drilled and welded posts through the pipe and attach it to where the skid shoes pin in. That way its easy to remove when I want to scrape the path down more. I've been using this setup for 7 years now. I had to replace the pipe last year just because of wear. I would %100 reccomend doing this.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #34  
I just looked closer at the OPs picture, and yeah that sure does look like a dozer blade. And that Extension, does it have an attachment to plow that would allow plow to trip or is it fixed? And I’m realizing that the attack angle will change every time you drop it unless you can somehow make it so loader controls don’t change attack angle every time you lift and drop.

Pulling a blade behind on a 3 point takes out a lot variables.

lastly and likely mentioned before, isn't there a ton of risk tweaking the loader arms with suck a large blade on that long extension?

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #35  
On my 10 footer, I took the skid shoes off and replaced them with heavy duty swiveling castor wheels, just like the ones on commercial plows, mine is a commercial plow that lost it's wheels somewhere so I replaced them.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #36  
Be gentle, this is my first time plowing with my tractor as well as my first time with a fullsize plow. All noob jokes are expected. :)

I have an L3560HTC that I've added a 7-foot quick-attach plow to. She looks like this:
View attachment 843057

Yesterday was the first snow and I attempted to use the FEL's "float" mode where the plow is supposed to just glide smoothly over bumps and things like a happy little pillow. Only in my case it just shoved into the driveway and tried to dig up what little asphalt I have left. I have a couple theories as to why but wanted to ask the experts before I do something horribly (yet hilariously) wrong.

My thoughts are that perhaps it's related to the angle of the plow, or the lack of plow shoes, or some combination of the two? I figure that since it has such a large forward protrusion off the SSQA attachment that I just need to angle it more upward than level to make everything happy, but I worry that I'll end up just digging some other part of the plow into my driveway and not notice till it's too late. Does anyone have advice or a tutorial on the proper way to make this all work? So far I've only found generic "how to plow" videos on Youtube.
Plow skids are essential. You WILL make contact of the blade to the asphalt without them, no matter what angle. Even with them, you may find high spots that the blade will gouge. You want to set the blade angle such that it is flat from side to side even when angled to the right or left. If your driveway has small hills and valleys, the effective blade angle will change as you go over them. I end up just using manual loader control for the high and low spots.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #37  

View attachment 843057

I visually float the front plow a few inches off the surface and spin my rear blade backwards on a matching angle with the front. The result is a hard pack into the gravel that will allow your plow to skim over top as the season progresses. As that occurs, I add shoes on the rear plow and spin it back forward again. This approach minimizes the loss of gravel. I have thought about shoes for the front plow, but my dealer swears that it's just a waste of money. I may just waste that money anyway. You will get better with practice.
1705932514723.png

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #38  
I generally leave that first couple inches of snow and drive it down then there is a surface to plow against and the driveway stays pretty much intact. Mine is gravel not pavement. without that your going to get some driveway without some skid on the bottom to keep the plow from removing the surface of your driveway.
Leaving a little snow there doesn't hurt. I don't know what part of the country you are in but here once it's frozen it is there for a few months (several).

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #39  

View attachment 843057

Looks like your tractor and mine are very similar. Bottom line, if the ground is soft or (warm) the plow has the possibly of digging in, so the only way to avoid this is to constantly adjust the plow to shave the snow off the ground. Plow shoes will do little to nothing until the ground freezes. ......... Keith.

/ First time plowing with SSQA plow, float mode just digs into the driveway #40  

View attachment 843057

The first time I saw one of those plow attachments my thought was what an easy way to twist a loader frame!

Extended that far out is a huge amount of leverage on the loader frame. I can easily imagine using it at a right or left angle would make the tractor extremely difficult to control from sliding sideways.

I would get rid of that thing and use a rear-mounted plow or blower. Driving in reverse is not so bad once you get used to it. I scraped my one-mile driveway of curves and hills with a box blade last week to clear the six inches of rare snow we got in W. Tennessee. The swivel seat on the Kubota helps a lot and my neck did not even get sore after two hours, which is saying a lot for this 74 year old neck! I have a hydraulic top link and can easily adjust the angle of the cutting edge to avoid digging into the gravel.