First time tractor buyer

/ First time tractor buyer #11  
We may have a different viewpoint.
In my opinion, no attachment for a tractor is "stupid" when you are 80+.
Maybe stupid was a tad harsh....so let me try again...

Buying an expensive attachment (like a backhoe) that will be used for a few hours may not be prudent if money is tight. Some tasks are better done with rental equipment or hiring a contractor.

Like the OP I have a small place...only twenty acres. In 9 years I have had $600 of backhoe and $300 of dozer work done. All were one time jobs that will never be done again.

One last consideration for the OP. I am fortunate to have two neighbors with tractors. For seldom used attachments we trade off. I bought a landscape grader and my neighbor bought a box blade. I have a grapple, another neighbor has a bush hog. May not be feasible for many folks but worth thinking about.

/ First time tractor buyer #12  
freid1765 That is a FACT! Anyone who calls
attachments for a tractor stupid must not have
any common sense Just had our well
worked on and used the tractor to remove the
top its so heavy that it takes 2 elephants and
a small boy to pick it up and that was with the
bucket and I used the backhoe to dig a trench
so the water would run out and they would have
dry feet!

willy

/ First time tractor buyer #13  
freid1765 That is a FACT! Anyone who calls
attachments for a tractor stupid must not have
any common sense Just had our well
worked on and used the tractor to remove the
top its so heavy that it takes 2 elephants and
a small boy to pick it up and that was with the
bucket and I used the backhoe to dig a trench
so the water would run out and they would have
dry feet!

willy
I did not call any attachment "stupid". None of them have a brain. People who have a brain and make foolish decisions can wear the label if it fits.

But let's go with your thinking....is a tractor mounted snowblower a stupid attachment? You live in Texas...do you get snow...do you own one? If you lived in Georgia, would it be a "stupid attachment"? How about Florida? How about Kentucky? Michigan? Manitoba?

Your example is funny though. Justifying a backhoe to dig trench so few workers have dry feet. Plenty of common sense there. Rubber boots like Muck's are affordable and can be easily moved to any job site:

And might avoid the need to dig a trench and then fill the trench back in...but let's not let common sense get in the way of using a backhoe to prove to ourselves how necessary it is.

/ First time tractor buyer #14  
I don't think the mucks would work too well
in a little over 3 feet of water and to pay $74.+
for a pair of boots for someone else requires
no common sense for a one time use! I had to
use the tractor to get the top off anyway and
it wouldn't make any sense to use a shovel when
you have the equipment! If ya got it use it if not
forget it! I don't have to justify my backhoe I use it!
About the snow yes Texas does get snow but
here we just wait for it to melt!

willy

/ First time tractor buyer #15  
I don't think the mucks would work too well
in a little over 3 feet of water and to pay $74.+
for a pair of boots for someone else requires
no common sense for a one time use! I had to
use the tractor to get the top off anyway and
it wouldn't make any sense to use a shovel when
you have the equipment! If ya got it use it if not
forget it! I don't have to justify my backhoe I use it!
About the snow yes Texas does get snow but
here we just wait for it to melt!

willy
Willy,
You made my point...if buying boots for a one time use makes no sense, then for someone like me who has very limited need for a BH, spending $7k does not make sense either.

As to the snow thing....if someone lives where they get 40" of snow a year, a blower is not a wise investment. But it is a almost a necessity here in northern MI unless you have a plow truck and enough space to push and pile up snow.

There is NOTHING wrong with investing in a BH, or any other attachment, if the user has a need.

I think BH's get a lot of disagreement because they are expensive and some people realize after making the investment they need to justify it. Just about everyone needs a FEL. Most people need pallet forks. Easy things to justify for their versatility. But not everyone needs a BH...just like not everyone needs a blower.

A $7k investment that might get 1-2 hours of work a year is not a good use of my $$$...but we can agree to disagree. If I had 15 hours of BH work a year, I would buy one.

/ First time tractor buyer #16  
Willy,
You made my point...if buying boots for a one time use makes no sense, then for someone like me who has very limited need for a BH, spending $7k does not make sense either.

As to the snow thing....if someone lives where they get 40" of snow a year, a blower is not a wise investment. But it is a almost a necessity here in northern MI unless you have a plow truck and enough space to push and pile up snow.

There is NOTHING wrong with investing in a BH, or any other attachment, if the user has a need.

I think BH's get a lot of disagreement because they are expensive and some people realize after making the investment they need to justify it. Just about everyone needs a FEL. Most people need pallet forks. Easy things to justify for their versatility. But not everyone needs a BH...just like not everyone needs a blower.

A $7k investment that might get 1-2 hours of work a year is not a good use of my $$$...but we can agree to disagree. If I had 15 hours of BH work a year, I would buy one.
I may not have more than 1.5 hours of BH use per year, but when I need it there is nothing else that will do the job.
Besides, I am an old guy, so I should justify saving money to take it to my grave?
Am not quite there yet, but don't expect I'll be able to spend it when I do get there.
Besides: My L48 TLB is currently worth 25%+ more than I paid for it (used) 2 years ago.

Last edited:
   / First time tractor buyer #17  
To someone in most parts of Texas, 40" a year would be catastrophic. Average annual snowfall in North Texas is about 2". Panhandle area would get more.

Sometimes down here I wish DOT would be as impractical. They don't have plows because we get so so sporadically. Sure be nice to have. I'd bet they could find other uses for them if they had them.

My first winter in the Milwaukee area (2000), we got 55" in December. Had the blower out every 3 days or so. The rest of the winter, only a few inches. I grew up with snow, but 55" in one month was fairly rare. For me, it is less about inches per year and more about how many times per year do you get 4" or more...especially the wet stuff.

/ First time tractor buyer #18  
I was born and raised in Wisconsin so I do
know what snow is like. Remember back in
the 50's our drive way was covered in snow
5 ft deep was nothing to have to shovel out!
Get blizzards roads get covered and can't pass
for a few days.

About attachments if you need them get them
if you don't forget them! I am old 81 and don't
care to use a shovel as I don't care for all the
aches and pains from using one. 40 years ago
I didn't use power stuff all muscle work but now
its a different story! Its sad that tractors are having electronic problems cheap components usually don't last very long. Computer shop in AZ has quality products on one side and then the cheap stuff on the other side of the shop. Old saying you get what you pay for.

I seen this video on youtube where this guy pulled this rototiller to him with one hand it was 4 or 5 ft long and it sounded like a piece of tin don't know how a company can stay in business making stuff like that.

I left the snow behind very happy without it. Here
not much rain and low humidity even with the high
temps makes me happy. Its dry and dusty but thats
OK by me!

willy

/ First time tractor buyer #19  
I just got a WorkMaster 55 last week and really like it so far, but have not had it for long enough to truly put it through it's paces. Would be happy to answer questions you have about that model.

I looked at WM and Mahindra 6000 series very closely and ended up going with the NH because I liked working with that dealer better.