Tractor Sizing First tractor recommendations...

/ First tractor recommendations... #1  

CaverDave

Tractor
BobCat ProCat 52, 1950 Ford 8N
Greetings!
A year ago my wife & I bought 30 acres w/ house in VA and absolutely LOVE living here.
The house sits in a "bowl" (taller terrain to east/north/west and has 3 spring fed ponds. Aside from about 10% field grass around the ponds, the balance is moderately wooded and VERY hilly... very little "flat"/level ground. There are old logging roads around the north/west perimeters that access the woods.

Stuart2.png
20180221_144119.jpg
20180224_120629.jpg
A good friend was going to loan me his "spare" L2900 (no FEL) for general use, which I've run for years bush hogging/wood harvesting his 50 acres.
However, once it turned spring, I bought a zero-turn for mowing and discounted the need for a tractor (I also have a 1-ton 4x4 dually flatbed and an old Jeep)...

That was until the recent snow of 14" w/ temps that hovered at/below freezing for a week :rolleyes: and other proposed uses/conditions (which I'll attempt to list)

- Our shared private road is exactly 1/2 mile from the asphalt to the house. It's currently maintained by a non-resident "neighbor" every 2-3 weeks w\ L2501 & a "ground plane", which works very well, but... he's only available on the weekends and has his property on the market. I'd thought about purchasing his L2501 w/ FEL, but suspect being 2-3 years old will be way over my budget & he'll want to package deal with all attachments (I don't foresee needing or want to deal with selling off).
- Reached out to my friend to see if he would still loan me his L2900 but haven't heard back yet. He knows I'll care for it just like my own, maintain it better than he does, and would purchase/install a FEL (which I need) to repay his generosity.

Again, it's hilly country where 4x4 (MFWD), a wide(r) stance, & ballast appears to be a necessity(?)... so that's where I'm focusing right now, a CUT in the 25-30HP range. I've spent a few 100 hours on an L4850, don't like the bulk and appears would be a detriment in the woods?

Uses:
- Snow removal from 1/2 mile of gravel road... most recommend a simple angled scrape blade, but an FEL may come in handy for some of it?
- Potentially sharing maintenance, should current neighbor sell
- Gardening... due to stupid amounts of rock/packed red clay, we're going No-Till (back to Eden) so need a means to prep (tons of compost & wood chips to spread) and maintain (more wood chips)
- We plan to make this a "gentleman farm" (farm that doesn't doesn't require 2-5 more full-time commitments) and since this will be our retirement location... also planning for chickens, a few goats, and possibly sheep.
- Other general uses would be gathering wood for outdoor fire ring (enough downed timber to last my lifetime w/o cutting anything down)

I'm not brand loyal (literally grew up in an IH tractor dealership and have enjoyed the Kubota's), but like everyone else, want the best bang for the buck. Would like to stay under $10k for tractor/FEL and will add scrape blade, & possible auger.
Everything I read says "factory"/branded FEL is preferred, but it also appears the price of tractors w/o FELs ($6-7k) can be had for nearly 1/2 of those with FELs ($12-14k).
So, is adding one (used/aftermarket) to a base CUT really going to cost the $5-6k difference?

/ First tractor recommendations... #2  
Everything I read says "factory"/branded FEL is preferred, but it also appears the price of tractors w/o FELs ($6-7k) can be had for nearly 1/2 of those with FELs ($12-14k).
So, is adding one (used/aftermarket) to a base CUT really going to cost the $5-6k difference?

The question with aftermarket FELs and Backhoes is the same. Are the pumps, plumbing and support on the tractor sufficient to power the addition? My advice is to sell the tractor lacking the implement and invest proceeds in another tractor with factory implement. Some with good mechanical skills and lots of tractor experience feel otherwise. Several firms make aftermarket FELs. Someone buys them.

FELs and Backhoes are MUCH cheaper purchased as part of a new tractor order relative to later order.

The last L2900 was produced in 1999. How much demand can there be for aftermarket FELs for this tractor model in 2019? You will find out when you research aftermarket FEL prices for this model.

Again, it's hilly country where 4x4 (MFWD), a wide(r) stance, & ballast appears to be a necessity(?)

Yes. But only if you do not want to be crushed under a tractor rollover.

Last edited:
   / First tractor recommendations... #3  
How many acres do you have to mow? What about after you get the goats and sheep?

/ First tractor recommendations... #4  
well that's a conundrum, not trying to burst a bubble but around here a 4x4 tractor of any size is going to run you more than 6 to 8K and of course my personal opinion of buying a tractor used with a loader is a crap shoot, so much more wear/tear on a tractor with a loader and depending on the owner/user you can pretty much roll the dice on how it was dealth with outside of one that is pristine but for the age of tractor you are going to be looking at for those price ranges well........you are going to have to be cautious, it sounds like you will do well if you grew up in/around a dealership and know what to look for. if you find a good deal on a loaderless tractor at that age i would prefer that since you wont have to wonder how much or not so much abuse it has had with the loader on it. I would rather buy one and put the loader on after the fact to know i got something that wasn't as used up.

if all you are doing is taking care of 30 acres and need to get in/around trees i agree the smaller chassis might be more agile if you plan to manicure the forest however if you are just grooming trails i would go for a little bigger unit for weight/power unless you plan to borrow or rent something for need of the big jobs that you save up for a weekend or something once a year or every couple yrs etc.... just my 2 cents

/ First tractor recommendations...
The question with aftermarket FELs and Backhoes is the same. Are the pumps, plumbing and support on the tractor sufficient to power the addition?

Thank you!
My assumption (yes, I know what that gets!) is that IF the base tractor would support a branded/factory FEL, it should also support a like sized aftermarket FEL?

How many acres do you have to mow? What about after you get the goats and sheep?

Thank you!
There's only about 3 acres to mow and the Bobcat 52" zero-turn does quick work of it. Honestly, after fencing, was planning to turn them out in the woods...

if you find a good deal on a loaderless tractor at that age i would prefer that since you wont have to wonder how much or not so much abuse it has had with the loader on it. I would rather buy one and put the loader on after the fact to know i got something that wasn't as used up.

Thank you!
While I'm sure there are horror stories, that was my thought as well...

if all you are doing is taking care of 30 acres and need to get in/around trees i agree the smaller chassis might be more agile if you plan to manicure the forest however if you are just grooming trails i would go for a little bigger unit for weight/power unless you plan to borrow or rent something for need of the big jobs that you save up for a weekend or something once a year or every couple yrs etc.... just my 2 cents

Aside from snow removal and possibly dragging the 1/2 mile gravel road, the main needs are general usage around the property.
By "smaller chassis", do you mean the 25-30HP range? Or something even smaller in 20-25HP range?

/ First tractor recommendations... #6  
My assumption (yes, I know what that gets!) is that IF the base tractor would support a branded/factory FEL, it should also support a like sized aftermarket FEL?

YES, but....

Twenty-five to thirty years ago tractors were not designed assuming an FEL would be installed. Loader demand has evolved over time. So an aftermarket FEL on a 2-5 year old tractor might be satisfactory, when an aftermarket FEL on a 20+ year old tractor might be evaluated as marginal after the addition. (Your money, you have to decide.) ((I have no L2900 experience.))

Today, 90% of new compact tractors are sold with optional FELs. Without an FEL compact tractor resale prices decrease, as buyers discount offers sufficiently to add a Loader, which is $$$.

A Loader saves your back.

Aside from snow removal and possibly dragging the 1/2 mile gravel road, the main needs are general usage around the property.
By "smaller chassis", do you mean the 25-30HP range? Or something even smaller in 20-25HP range?

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to identify potential tractor applications first, then determine bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight usually operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is generally greater than depreciation on a tractor.

Heavier tractors are constructed on larger frames and longer wheelbases. Heavier tractors are built with thicker steel to withstand greater stress. Heavier tractors have larger diameter wheels/tires, increasing ground clearance. Heavier tractors with large diameter wheels/tires have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator perturbation.

Last edited:
   / First tractor recommendations... #7  
Kubota L2900

Manufacturer: Kubota

Kubota L2900 Power:
Engine (gross): 32.1 hp [23.9 kW]
Engine (net): 29.7 hp [22.1 kW]
PTO (claimed): 25 hp [18.6 kW]

Capacity:
Fuel: 9.2 gal [34.8 L]
Hydraulic system: 10.3 gal [39.0 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Control: position control
Rear lift (at ends): 2,870 lbs [1301 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 2,200 lbs [997 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Engine RPM: 540@2670
Mid PTO: independent
Mid RPM: 2000
Engine RPM: 2000@2623

Dimensions
2WD Wheelbase: 65.9 inches [167 cm]
4WD Wheelbase: 65.7 inches [166 cm]
Weight: 2560 to 2710 pounds

Kubota L2900 attachments:
mowing deck
snowblower
blade
front-end loader
backhoe

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD
Steering: hydrostatic power
Brakes: wet disc
Two-post ROPS.

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Capacity: 10.3 gal [39.0 L]
Pressure: 2490 psi [171.7 bar]
Pump flow: 7.0 gpm [26.5 lpm]

L2900 Serial Numbers:
1994: 5002
1995: 54654
1996: 56282
1997: 58445

Page information:
Last update: December 28, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / First tractor recommendations... #8  
Have you heard of PowerTrac? Power Trac Factory-direct and made in VA. Talk to MossRoad; he's a PT expert. My understanding is the PTs are great for hilly terrain.

/ First tractor recommendations... #9  
Have you heard of PowerTrac? Power Trac Factory-direct and made in VA. Talk to MossRoad; he's a PT expert. My understanding is the PTs are great for hilly terrain.

An excellent recommendation. Why didn't I think of that?

LINK: Power Trac

/ First tractor recommendations... #10  
You can get an FEL for the L but it will run 4K. Better to get a tractor with one already installed. I added a nice Stoll FEL to my NH 1720 and it worked great. Back about 10 years ago it was around $3500.

You've done a good job defining your objectives. You will find that good used 25 to 30 HP tractors are very high demand and as a result used prices reflect that. Many just go ahead and bite the bullet for new one.