Buying Advice First Tractor

/ First Tractor #1  

SorenV

Tractor
I don't yet.
I am looking for 4wd tractor with a loader.

I have just under 9 acres, about half wooded, and would like to run the following attachments:
  • Tiller
  • Wood splitter
  • Box blade
  • Wood chipper

I believe I need 20-25 HP at the PTO to run the tiller.

Eventually I may want to use other attachments so would prefer to not limit myself, but I don't have enough knowledge to know how to mitigate that.

I would prefer something old that can effectively/easily run a loader without custom work (welding up custom brackets, third party hydraulics, etc).

The reason I want to go with something old is price, I don't have $35K+ to drop.

/ First Tractor #2  
You can get into a 25 hp 4x4 fel tractor of just about any brand for 20k or less,

/ First Tractor
Thank you for the reply.

I should have specified a budget, ideally all in I would like to be under $10k (including some/all the attachments).

When I was looking for a truck I initially was going to go new. The prices were ridiculous, I chose rather to go old and sink the extra money into tools and materials to fix it up. I landed on a 2002 Chevy 1500 for $6500K and sunk $2000K into it to get it where I wanted it. I would like to do the same concept with a tractor. I value simplicity and longevity if I care for it.

It maybe what I'm after just doesn't exist and I'll need to adjust.

/ First Tractor #4  
I should have specified a budget, ideally all in I would like to be under $10k (including some/all the attachments).
It maybe what I'm after just doesn't exist and I'll need to adjust.
At that price it doesn't exist in a new tractor. I think you'd be hard pressed to get those attachments is a usable condition for 10k right now, but I wouldn't use my tractor as a wood splitter so that would keep it cheaper.

You're probably looking at 30+ year old tractors at that price for 4WD, 25 PTO HP and loader. I'd start shopping around and see what's local then research some of those pieces and see what fits.

/ First Tractor #5  
A wood splitter that runs off the tractor hydraulics will be slower and less powerful than a standalone splitter. Tractor hydraulics do not have as much flow or pressure as a dedicated splitter. With careful shopping the cost difference is small, only a few hundred $$.

How large a chipper do you intent to run? And how large will the material be that you're chipping? I have a hydraulic feed 8" Woodmaxx and find that of all the tasks I do, chipping is the only one that makes me want more than the 37hp my tractor has.

A chipper with a large throat is useful even if you're chipping small stuff because you can do less trimming. Power feed is much safer than "self feeding" chippers, and hydraulic feed lets adjust the feed speed.

/ First Tractor #6  
What is your location?

Tractors and implements are cheapest in the South.

About 30% more expensive in the N.E.

Higher in Alaska and Hawaii.

Many here share my poor experience with wood chippers for mixed soft wood and hard wood chipping. Burning is more time efficient than using a high maintenance wood chipper.

I recommend an electric powered wood splitter over a tractor powered wood splitter.
VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=electric+log+splitter

Last edited:
   / First Tractor #7  
About a year ago I sold my 27 year old MF1250 (34hp) 4WD tractor with loader for $8,500. That did not include any implements. If you find something that you are seriously considering, I would recommend doing a casual search for repair parts just to see what is available. Some old compact tractors can be a challenge finding parts.

/ First Tractor #8  
Sure. You'll be able to get something that will do the work for under ten grand. Lots of us did. Unless you are crazy lucky it will require some work.

Here are 3 different paths a few of us did before buying new became the favorite game. You can do the same.
The neat thing about used tractors is they age so slowly. You can get one going and it will work that way for years. And when you finally get it all working like new you will be old and wise enough to appreciate that it will keep on going on for another generation.

Start by looking in your local farming community for an older Ag tractor- most name brands 20 to 30 years old are in the running. The one you want is the one that someone still uses but is in good running shape. Be prepared to spend half your money on it. No junk. You aren't looking for a beat up compact 4x4 with a loader, You are paying serious dollars for a basic usable tractor, and for that you want it to have everything working, a decent set of tires, a good 3pt hitch - probably a category II, and a good PTO. A lot of hours is OK, but NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS. That machine will set you back about 5000 to 6000, and then another $4000 will put a loader on it.
Parts for older Ag machines are in pretty good supply. Stick with a brand you recognize. Ask on some forums.

There are other paths.
You could probably find a 20 year old beat up little diesel compact 4x4 with a loader that needs work. Sounds like you are a mechanic so you can evaluate that for yourself. I see them from time to time that need engine or transmission work. The old ones are simple enough for any backyard mechanic. $5K will suffice to get started there. Parts range from moderately hard to get to downright impossible. Junk yard or second hand gears...that sort of stuff.

Some people even go for an older backhoe+loader. You know, the ones you see on construction sites.Used commercial machines are really beat up but surprisingly durable in good mechanical hands. Some real bargains there, but to go that route you need some serious mechanical skills and things like a 3 ton hoist. $10K will just get you in the door of this route. Expect that the engine & tranny will be usable, but hydraulics and electrics require work. Maybe a clutch & brakes too. Plus some steering work. Parts are available for almost any model with yellow paint by Case or John Deere.

Welcome to Tractor & Loader School! It's fun here.
rScotty

/ First Tractor #9  
Unlikely 10k. More likely 15k for a 20 year old one with those things you ask for.

/ First Tractor #10  
OP,

I don't think you're going to like running a wood chipper on 25hp. Not one bit.

Why are you setting that as a hp limit? Normally the guys that say "stay under 25hp" are the guys that are worried about the Tier IV emissions.

You won't have any of that stuff to worry about on an old tractor.