First use of the 4820! Tilling.

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling. #1  

CloverKnollFarms

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM4820H
So I was able to break ground on my 1 acre buckwheat stand today.

The IronCraft 72" tiller worked well.

I used the auto PTO function and cruise control as well. I set the three point speed slow enough that I can set the lever all the way down, as it drops the PTO automatically starts, and before it hits the ground I throttle up to 2500 RPM. The cruise let me keep a steady speed across the field.

I would not want any less than 48hp on this clay loam. Its not been worked in maybe 20 years.
IMG20230414175254~2.jpg
IMG20230414180600~3.jpg

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling. #2  
Looks like it did a good job! The tiller looks like a good one as well. Nice to see quality products coming from IronCraft.

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling.
Looks like it did a good job! The tiller looks like a good one as well. Nice to see quality products coming from IronCraft.
The clay loam sod is turned to powder. It’ll make the tractor grunt for sure

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling. #4  
I have a 43 year old Yanmar and my tiller that I bought last year is a reconditioned 5 foot wide Yanmar tiller. I know just how you feel though. When I used the tiller the first time it bucked and bounced because of my clay loam soil that is packed with rocks. But after a few passes, with me removing the rocks that surfaced with each pass, the ground looks and is smooth, ready for planting. It seems silly but it really is a kinda thrill, isn't it? I know how you feel, except you are using a brand new machine and tiller. That must be really fun. Nothing like testing the new tractor. I'm sure you are having fun and I'm right there with you in spirit.
Eric

I have a 43 year old Yanmar and my tiller that I bought last year is a reconditioned 5 foot wide Yanmar tiller. I know just how you feel though. When I used the tiller the first time it bucked and bounced because of my clay loam soil that is packed with rocks. But after a few passes, with me removing the rocks that surfaced with each pass, the ground looks and is smooth, ready for planting. It seems silly but it really is a kinda thrill, isn't it? I know how you feel, except you are using a brand new machine and tiller. That must be really fun. Nothing like testing the new tractor. I'm sure you are having fun and I'm right there with you in spirit.
Eric
Luckily we are rock free... But the soil needs to be turned for sure. It is very hard. The unit worked well though!

Eric
I also purchased a Packer Maxx for my ATV to cultipack the ground after I broadcast the seed. It was affordable, 100lbs per foot of packer, and will be easier to store in the barn.

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling. #7  
On hard ground I use to turn it with a plow then till. I found it easier on the tractor and tiller. Takes longer but works well. Another thing I would do from time to time is the first pass with the tiller is not go as deep then go over it again with the tiller deeper.

The more you use it you will find techniques to make it easier.

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling. #8  
Chop nicely. (y)

On hard ground I use to turn it with a plow then till. I found it easier on the tractor and tiller. Takes longer but works well. Another thing I would do from time to time is the first pass with the tiller is not go as deep then go over it again with the tiller deeper.

The more you use it you will find techniques to make it easier.
I will admit, the shoes are set to max depth, so the first pass is a few inches deep. I may lift the shoes a setting to expedite the sod cutting, let that decomp for a week or so, then hit it again deeper to get a 5-6" seed bed loosened. It was also dryer than I had thought it would be.

I did hit some rock in one corner, and it didn't harm the unit at all. Also got into some tree roots at the edge of the property, and it didn't even know they were there.

Overall very happy. The tractors rear is plastered with dust. No more clean tractor. The whole while I thought, this isn't clogging my DPF 😅

/ First use of the 4820! Tilling. #10  
Barely any dirt on her, doesn't look like she sweat at all. 🤣