Five Minute Jobs

/ Five Minute Jobs #21  
Ceiling lights in a hall way are on a standard toggle switch. Figured I'd put in a timer switch I had picked up a few years back and never used. Should be simple, hot, load, neutral and a ground.

Nope. Got no neutral in the box, just a switch loop. Electronic timer need s a neutral to work.
It is always good to have a helper. Especially when running wire. But make sure your helper is not named "Murphy" and practices "Murphy's Law."

/ Five Minute Jobs #22  
I started last Wednesday with a list of those 4 minute jobs. Most went pretty well; but it still took me all day to accomplish a handful of them. :cool:

/ Five Minute Jobs #23  
I try to use this when estimating any more, double the number and go the the next bigger unit of time. 5 minute jobs - 10 hours. 1 day job - 2 months. If everything goes right, you look like a genius. If not, you look experienced.

/ Five Minute Jobs #24  
I try to use this when estimating any more, double the number and go the the next bigger unit of time. 5 minute jobs - 10 hours. 1 day job - 2 months. If everything goes right, you look like a genius. If not, you look experienced.
That sounds like a really good plan.

I put in a new sink, garbage disposal and some big fancy faucet for a friend of my wife last night. Lot on unknowns there about the exact size of the hole, trap and source line size.

I told her - Probably a couple hours, last night after work (Friday Night). She seemed always too busy to be there and been putting it off about a month. HOWEVER, I told her if there is a problem, you may need to be there tomorrow to finish. Saturday. She said Don't know - think I am busy Sat. Then I told her --I won't start it unless you can be there Saturday - I will be gone a week and you might be without water. All of a sudden, Saturday was available. Did it last night - Took two hours fifteen minutes.

Boy, was I glad to put that behind me. I was worried - what if existing hole was too big for new sink? New Counter?

/ Five Minute Jobs #25  
I went to hook up my dad’s old 3 point boom pole yesterday. It had been sitting in the weeds for a few years. 5-10 minutes tops. Yeah right. Lower pins sunk in the mud & dirt that turned out to be fire ant mounds. The pins were crusted 1/2 inch of rust. An hour or so later and half a dozen stings, success. Why do fire ants like implements so much? :mad:

/ Five Minute Jobs #26  
I've had this happen backwards too. Wife had a Mustang with a leaking heater core. I looked under the hood and figured it was going to take hours. Started the job by looking in the glove box, where I discovered an access hole to R&R the heater core. Ten minutes.

/ Five Minute Jobs #27  
I went to hook up my dad’s old 3 point boom pole yesterday. It had been sitting in the weeds for a few years. 5-10 minutes tops. Yeah right. Lower pins sunk in the mud & dirt that turned out to be fire ant mounds. The pins were crusted 1/2 inch of rust. An hour or so later and half a dozen stings, success. Why do fire ants like implements so much? :mad:
I think they were waiting for you.

/ Five Minute Jobs #28  
How about the task of changing the little 184 side marker bulb in a Camry:
Changing the turn signal bulb on a 2011 GMC Sierra pickup has to be one of the worst designs ever. I checked Youtube for how to do it, and the first video I found recommended jacking up the truck, removing the left front wheel, and proceeding to take apart the inner fender for access that way. What?

I searched more, and most videos recommend removing the entire grill first. To change a light bulb. Here is an example of one:

"I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE. I've been working on cars all my life and I'm 49. This has got to be one of the worst designs I have ever seen or have worked on. All the videos you will find are accurate and true. Basically if you own the vehicle with this design you have three options:
- 1) Take it to the dealer. Pray to God that if they take the entire grill apart that it goes back together correctly. Demand a description of how they intend to change the bulbs AND demand that every bulb is replaced in the headlight housing if they use this option. Prepare to pay a premium.
- 2) Take the time and dismantle the grill and components as shown in THIS video. This video is VERY good. If you go with this option as with option #1, replace every bulb in the headlight housing.
- 3) Do not dismantle the grill as shown. You can save time on the drivers side by loosing the windshield washer reservoir bottle, Aux. battery tray, the plastic radiator cover and the two top bolts of the headlight housing. Find someone with small hands to assist. Remove the clips first from the bulb, then untwist the bulb. On the passenger side, remove the air intake box and loosen the top two bolts of the headlight housing. Find someone with small hands to assist. Remove the clips first from the bulb, then untwist the bulb. Remember, be careful to NOT touch the bulbs."

/ Five Minute Jobs #30  
I've had this happen backwards too. Wife had a Mustang with a leaking heater core. I looked under the hood and figured it was going to take hours. Started the job by looking in the glove box, where I discovered an access hole to R&R the heater core. Ten minutes.
back in the day, heater cores were the WORST job.

i'd rather work on rusty exhaust laying on my back in the snow.