Chains Fixing Broken Roller Chain

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #1  

davey4000

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4320, NH TC29D
I bought a used Olathe 3 pt debris blower. The drive chain is broken and I need to put it back together using a connecting link. The pictures of connecting links on the web doesn't seem to include the rollers. Can you buy them or am I looking at getting a new chain?

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #2  
I bought a used Olathe 3 pt debris blower. The drive chain is broken and I need to put it back together using a connecting link. The pictures of connecting links on the web doesn't seem to include the rollers. Can you buy them or am I looking at getting a new chain?

Napa and other auto supply houses sell roller chain and the links as separate items. I have purchased many different sizes of it over the years. They come labeled as #50, #60 etc. Sometims the links are stamped. otherwise you may have to take the chain to them.

Aalso, fasteners Inc and Fastenal branches sell them

Good luck

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #3  
The repair links are the outer part of the chain. The rollers are on the inside links of the chain.

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #4  
One thing ive found dealing with roller chain ,that there is heavy duty and regular.A regular repair link isnt long enough for heavy duty chain,you cant get the cotter pins in[or clipwhich ever link you may use]The heavy duty links will work on the standard chain,but sticks out a bit and has some side to side motion.Heavy duty chain has thicker metal in it and the links are stamped HD.In my tool box at work i keep links for each type for each chain i may encounter.When my Pronovost chain and sprockets need replacement ill go with the heavy duty chain
ALAN

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #5  

If the chain is broken it is likely stretched. Put a new chain on it. Keep the repair links for an emergency.

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #7  
I seem to recall something about 12 inches pin to pin for the proper length of #60 chain.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-004/000.html

In any case there are measurements pin to pin that will tell if the chain should be replaced.:)

Don't remember the numbers but all roller chain is pitch based so you are correct that a measurement can be taken. Chain is cheap compared to sprockets and such. Since it was used and broken at purchase I would not fool around with a broken unknown chain.

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #8  
I agree with the above posters buy a new chain, I would suggest a name brand as the other chain must have broken for a reason. I use to ride trail motorcycles and we were hard on chains, check your sprockets for excessive wear, the gullets will be elongated. When you get it finished use some form of chain lube ie ( motorcycle or wirerope lube )

Craig Clayton

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #9  
I agree with the above posters buy a new chain, I would suggest a name brand as the other chain must have broken for a reason. I use to ride trail motorcycles and we were hard on chains, check your sprockets for excessive wear, the gullets will be elongated. When you get it finished use some form of chain lube ie ( motorcycle or wirerope lube )

Craig Clayton

I keep a jug of old motor oil ,where i park the tractor.After every use of the blower i run it in the garage and oil the chain between storms.Yes its probably not what others reccomend ,but the light weight motor oil isnt real thick like bar and chain oil in cold temps and its free:thumbsup:
ALAN

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #10  

Craig Clayton

here's some chain that won't break...a little expensive though :D
Enuma EK 630SHB-Z Chain for Top Fuel Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Drag Racing