Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #11  
I didn't know any had a 70 year or lifetime warranty, but the one I think (may change) I'm going to use is supposed to have a transferable 50 year warranty. And roxynoodle, you sure are right about the "many different grades." I knew there were some different ones, but never knew there were so many until the past week or so.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #12  
I have to say, 50 year vinyl siding should be guaranteed for 50 years? This vinyl siding world is a fast, get yur money thing?? Its all a big sales pitch that sounds good but it fades, dries up and when it burns! It will poison us. Please give this cheap quick fix lots more thought and research
Thanks for your time
Jim

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #13  
Actually I just checked it and mine has a 75 year transferrable warranty. Aside from warranties, you need to look at thickness and whether it is color through or just the top layer has color. Ok, I spent nearly $4000 on it for siding, housewrap and some insulation board and I could have spent 1/3 of that using the cheapest siding there was. However, the house next to me is 8 years old and the siding looks horrible. They are planning to redo it. They built their own garage and bought better siding for that and it still looks good. An 8 year old house should not look that bad.

In case you are wondering how what I spent compares to the size of the house, it is a 150 year old farmhouse, tall and with a couple additions. It took 27 square of siding. My estimates to have it done for me (with a quality siding) were around $15k.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #14  
Many things that we use in daily life will result in toxic gas or fumes if they burn. So, yes, I agree that we should give it some thought and research, but I don't think we can eliminate all of them. And of course I think most of us are going to do our best to prevent our homes from burning. I think vinyl siding has proven to be a pretty good product; not perfect, but pretty good. But I guess if we wanted maximum safety, we'd all be living in concrete bunkers.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #15  
you need to look at thickness and whether it is color through or just the top layer has color

You've got that right. We have friends who had vinyl siding put on their house 11 years ago and it still looks quite new. She said they did have a couple of pieces replaced after some hail damage a few years ago, but I've never noticed any color difference. I still haven't made a final decision, but am leaning toward Alcoa Structure, a .046" with foam bonded to the back of it, installed over Tyvek, and it does have the color all the way through. It can be seen here.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #16  
That looks like a quality product. I used Variform and the thickness is 0.048". The ASTM standard for siding is only 0.035" so there is a lot of variation in thickness.

If you are interested in looking this is a link.
www.variform.com

I used one from the Timber Oak collection; really like that weathered wood look.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #17  
Like we said, there are so many to choose from. I hadn't seen the Variform and it looks good. I was a little surprised to hear about an .035" thickness standard, since "contractor" grade is .040" and I thought that was the thinnest used for residential siding.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding
pajoube said:
I have white vinyl siding but it still lacks luster. Would you suggest using this on white?
PJ

Yes. The process is still the same. Wash the siding down with the cleaner and then brush or spray on a coat of the Restora and the finish will look new again.

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #19  
We just had this installed on a remodel on my mother's house, and the contractors themselves had never heard of it. They said by far it was the best siding they had ever seen or installed. We are happy thus far. I'll try to post a few pics as well. They even have a beaded board that I may end up using when we do our build.

http://www.vinyl-siding.com/solidcore_D7.asp

/ Fixing Faded Vinyl Siding #20  
I'd never heard of Crane solidcore, but it "looks" about the same at the Alcoa Structure that I think I want to use.