Flail and HP needed to run.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #1  

dustin3207

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1602D
I have been looking at flails and obviously want one that is wider (working width)than the tractor. Betstco is the brand. I’ve talked to the sale people there and their word contradicts what the websites literature says. They said the 48” would be too big for my 25hp engine tractor, but in the manual (pictured below) clearly states,
“If your tractor is gear transmisson this Is PTO Horsepower. If it is hydro this is engine Horsepower.”
I have a LS MT225s hydro.
Would you get the EFGC155(60”)?

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 56
   / Flail and HP needed to run. #2  
what is the weight of the flail? that's what i'd be looking at in addition to pto hp requirements. are you working on slopes? also are rear tires loaded?

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #3  
I have been looking at flails and obviously want one that is wider (working width)than the tractor. Betstco is the brand. I’ve talked to the sale people there and their word contradicts what the websites literature says. They said the 48” would be too big for my 25hp engine tractor, but in the manual (pictured below) clearly states,
“If your tractor is gear transmisson this Is PTO Horsepower. If it is hydro this is engine Horsepower.”
I have a LS MT225s hydro.
Would you get the EFGC155(60”)?
Your 25hp tractor has 19.3 pto hp. With the rule being 5 Hp per foot of cut, a 4 foot would be too much. Reality, depends on what you’re going to be cutting.

User Leonz has written quite a bit about flails on TBN. Would be worth searching some of his posts. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/best-value-72”-flail-mower.474728/#post-6760411

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #4  
Go with the 48 unless you are only cutting light grass. I have an AGL165 which is 65in wide with 25hp at the pto and have to slow down a lot if I hit tall or thick grass.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #5  
It really depends on what you will be cutting and the terrain. 60” is going to be more than what your tractor is going to want I would think.

I would think in terms of PTO HP as that is what drives the mower. With a HST you can go very slow which is why they suggest engine HP. I just disagree with that.

/ Flail and HP needed to run.
What I have found is it’s not only how wide the flail is, but also has to do with the blade swing it has. Medium duty has a 13” swing, heavy duty has 14.5”, commercial rough is 15” swing. That is why there is a big hp difference in the 53” medium and the 53” commercial.

Last edited:
   / Flail and HP needed to run. #8  
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. My 64" flail will load my 50hp on high weeds, so I generally use it as a finish mower. It has the spoon blades and does a fine job at leaving a finished look. Rough to look at now but I have a welder, paint and new decals for it. ;)

2008_1031Implements0012.JPG

what is the weight of the flail? that's what i'd be looking at in addition to pto hp requirements. are you working on slopes? also are rear tires loaded?
The 60” is 720 lbs.
The 48” is 600 lbs.
My tractor is rated at 1800 lbs. at the pin, so no worries there.

Also depends on blade type or hammers and material being cut. Hammers take some power to keep spinning.
Hammer blades is what I’d run.