Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one

/ Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
Would like to get a Caroni "Brush' Fail mower. I will be mowing weeds and tall grass up to 5 feet high. I like the reports on the TM1900BSC (75 inch) but only have 28 Engine HP/21 PTO HP so likely need to step down in size. The Caroni website shows a TM1600BSC (63 inch) but I do not see 1600 listed in the Agri Supply website. Anyone know where to find the 63 inch Brush version TM1600BSC? Or is anyone using the 75 inch with 21 or less PTO HP running slower or taking less than a full width cut?

Thanks

Wayne

/ Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one #2  
You already saw the TM1500 FSC model (fine cut grass blades)?

59 FLAIL MOWER - Agri Supply

I'm guessing you did, and I know it isn't exactly what you're seeking. You might call Agrisupply and see if either the exact TM1600 model is available or a TM1500 with the knives changed to the Y-shaped brush knives. Their catalog and website don't seem to be very detailed and after chatting with them (I just ordered a TM1900) I wouldn't be surprised if there are more options available than just those listed.

/ Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one #3  
Would like to get a Caroni "Brush' Fail mower. I will be mowing weeds and tall grass up to 5 feet high. I like the reports on the TM1900BSC (75 inch) but only have 28 Engine HP/21 PTO HP so likely need to step down in size. The Caroni website shows a TM1600BSC (63 inch) but I do not see 1600 listed in the Agri Supply website. Anyone know where to find the 63 inch Brush version TM1600BSC? Or is anyone using the 75 inch with 21 or less PTO HP running slower or taking less than a full width cut?

Thanks

Wayne

Good morning Wayne,

The horsepower charts are ment for the gross horsepower of the prime mover.

The flail mowers are ment to be run at the 540 RPM and high engine speed to obtain the 540 rpm otherwise they do not cut well.

The grass knives are very capable of wacking the tall crap as long as you drive slowly the first couple of times.

You can mow with the mower raised you know, and then lower it.

FYI We wack down a lot of five foot junk with our 16 horse 48 inch motorised flail mower with 96 grass knives.

The folks at agri supply have the ability to order the mower you want from italy as they are the main importer for them.

You could order the 48 inch with 88 grass knives and a hydraulic side shift and do a lot of serious mowing and handle the tall junk easily by mowing high then mowing low at a low ground speed.

The flail mower any flail mower runs best when it is running at full rpm with the high engine speed -no lugging

If you order the 48 inch unit it wil take a little longer but you will be able to knock it down just as easily.

The key to that is also overlapping while mowing too as the 48 inch unit with the grass knives will work very well.

and it will mow it right to the ground and you will have very little residue and having the hydraulic side shift allows you to mow much wider to one side or the other and just keep knocking it down.

the key is to mow in a spiral to avoid having to brake and turn constantly as it will take less time to mow and you can overlap and grind it down to nothing in the process.

/ Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one #4  
You already saw the TM1500 FSC model (fine cut grass blades)?

59 FLAIL MOWER - Agri Supply

I'm guessing you did, and I know it isn't exactly what you're seeking. You might call Agrisupply and see if either the exact TM1600 model is available or a TM1500 with the knives changed to the Y-shaped brush knives. Their catalog and website don't seem to be very detailed and after chatting with them (I just ordered a TM1900) I wouldn't be surprised if there are more options available than just those listed.

It appears that is the TL model which seems to be lighter duty.

Good morning Wayne,

The key to that is also overlapping while mowing too as the 48 inch unit with the grass knives will work very well.
the key is to mow in a spiral to avoid having to brake and turn constantly as it will take less time to mow and you can overlap and grind it down to nothing in the process.

After reading some of the details on the main flail mower thread there seems to be a concern about balance. If you consistently overlapped your cuts would you cause a significant amount more wear on the side taking in the uncut area? Would the balance from end to end not really matter, just the balance around the shaft is crucial?

/ Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one #5  
It appears that is the TL model which seems to be lighter duty.

After reading some of the details on the main flail mower thread there seems
to be a concern about balance.

If you consistently overlapped your cuts would you cause a significant amount
more wear on the side taking in the uncut area?

No there is no issue with balance as all the knives are there.

Would the balance from end to end not really matter,
just the balance around the shaft is crucial?

The end to end balance matters just as having a balanced crank shaft
in an engine for the same reasons.

Thats why the rotors have weights welded to them.

The rotors are mounted in a metal lathe and a dial indicator is mounted on
the tool base of the lathe and every inch of the rotor shaft is spun by hand
at first to find high and low spots in the shaft to locate the points that must
be properly balanced and the wieghts are added by welding either prior to or
fter the weldments are added for the knife hangers depending on the rotor type.

The rotor on our lawn genie is set up as a large diameter pulley with the knife hangers
welded to the shell to aid in grass mowing and the entire drum is
balanced with welded on wieghts.

The end to end balance is crucial to guarantee that it has a centered unwavering orbit at all times,
due to the high speed of rotation.

Ths also gives the maximum delivered centrifugal energy to the knives throw wieght when
slashing/cutting brush and the great cut when mowing grass because the knives are slicing
the grass blade so fast in the rotation of the rotor.

no worries; they work very well and they work very hard to mow grass, or slash brush (that needs to be shortened anyway)
====================================================================================================

Last edited:
   / Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one
Thanks for the information. I will call AgriSupply Monday as I would like the TM Brush version. Likely could use the Lighter duty TL version as most of it is just very tall grass with heavy green stemed weeds. Thinking as I will not be "finish" lawn mowing would like the brush version for the few times when I get into a lite brush.

How long do the flail knifes last when cutting tall grass only. No rocks or woody stem greater that 1/4 inch. Do they need to be sharpened for rough mowing?

Thanks

Wayne

/ Flail Mower Caroni TM1600BSC (63 inch) Anyone have one #7  
Its not so much the issue with tall grass but the speed as

you have to drive slowly if you let it get that long.

I know its your money but I will tell you the F rotor and the
96 grass knives will not dissappoint you under any circumstance
as we use our 48 inch lawn genie for brush and dense growth a
lot due to its speed of cutting and shredding and it works even
better when the brush is dead.

No worries- I would still buy the FTM1600 and have 96 knives
and they will cut the thick stems, you may have to make a
second pass to cut it all the way to the ground but they are
great knives and have more total cutting edge than the brush
model. I have knives that are 30 years old and still look good
as the grass knife only cuts a fraction of the width with the
high speed rotor.