Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #31  
A really interesting and helpful thread, I've learned a lot from this (y)

I've a Kioti CS2610 and use a 4' del morino flail with Y cutters. I've had both for 9 years. Results initially on long or short stuff was great but results deteriorated rapidly as the blades deteriorated - not surprisingly. Our soil is very stony!
My Y blades now are worn smooth and round on the leading edges. The back (trailing) edges are ok. My question is, can I just swap them all around to reverse them so that the leading edge is now "ok" or should I replace all with new?
Thanks
I have reversed my blades a few times. I believe that is part of the designed use. The opposite side will only be used if cutting in reverse, which I don't bother doing. After a few years use, I don't have many rocks, I reverse the blades and get great results. Fwiw, I have a Caroni 74" with grass blades and a Kubota l4600

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #32  
20 ACRES ISNT MUCH--YOU CAN EASILY REMOVE THE LARGER ROCKS STICKING UP AND THEN GET A BUSH HOG MOWER AND MOW IT AT A MEDIUM HEIGHT SETTING--AFTER A FEW CUTS,YOU WILL HAVE A GOLF COURSE WITH NO WEEDS

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #33  
I mow this capped landfill twice a year, and my mower lays it down. I think this looks quite good. Mowing with a Woodmaxx 78" mower.
IMG_8802.jpeg

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #34  
Lots of good info here. I have a medium duty 6ft bush hog on my 47hp Branson. It cut’s well but needs constant attention else things get dramatic with rocks or scuffing the ground. Luckily at my cabin it doesn’t matter much but I am tired of scrubbing up the ground. I’m thinking of maybe trading it for a flail mower. I’ve run one before when volunteering at a town owned orchard years ago. I know they are expensive, but can anyone recommend a good one at a reasonable price ($3k’ish). I know there are cheaper Chinese ones but don’t know if worth the risk. Looking for a 6ft cut.

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #35  

I've a Kioti CS2610 and use a 4' del morino flail with Y cutters. I've had both for 9 years. Results initially on long or short stuff was great but results deteriorated rapidly as the blades deteriorated - not surprisingly. Our soil is very stony!
My Y blades now are worn smooth and round on the leading edges. The back (trailing) edges are ok. My question is, can I just swap them all around to reverse them so that the leading edge is now "ok" or should I replace all with new?
Thanks
Reverse them and wear them out, that's why they're made like that.

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #36  
Lots of good info here. I have a medium duty 6ft bush hog on my 47hp Branson. It cut’s well but needs constant attention else things get dramatic with rocks or scuffing the ground. Luckily at my cabin it doesn’t matter much but I am tired of scrubbing up the ground. I’m thinking of maybe trading it for a flail mower. I’ve run one before when volunteering at a town owned orchard years ago. I know they are expensive, but can anyone recommend a good one at a reasonable price ($3k’ish). I know there are cheaper Chinese ones but don’t know if worth the risk. Looking for a 6ft cut.

Woodmaxx FM-78. Its $3000 on the money. It is designed and tested in Buffalo, NY at the Woodmaxx facility but is made in China. I have the same model and use it commercially; it works great and has been reliable. It's a 74" cut and needs 30-65 PTO HP which your Branson will supply. I'm running it behind my 60HP Kubota now, but I've actually used it behind my other 40HP (32 PTO HP) Kubota and it still worked pretty well, just had to go slow in the thick stuff.

The cheap Chinese ones are junk. The best mowers are probably Alamo or Vrismo; these are $8-10k for the same size. There are some nice Italian models priced in between, but I don't think they are necessarily better than the Woodmaxx. Parts are readily available for the Woodmaxx as well.

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #37  
Woodmaxx FM-78. Its $3000 on the money. It is designed and tested in Buffalo, NY at the Woodmaxx facility but is made in China. I have the same model and use it commercially; it works great and has been reliable. It's a 74" cut and needs 30-65 PTO HP which your Branson will supply. I'm running it behind my 60HP Kubota now, but I've actually used it behind my other 40HP (32 PTO HP) Kubota and it still worked pretty well, just had to go slow in the thick stuff.

The cheap Chinese ones are junk. The best mowers are probably Alamo or Vrismo; these are $8-10k for the same size. There are some nice Italian models priced in between, but I don't think they are necessarily better than the Woodmaxx. Parts are readily available for the Woodmaxx as well.
Thanks will check it out!

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #38  
OK,

If the flail mower does not sound like a shop vac vacuum cleaner it is not creating the amount of
pressure gradient/suction to lift the clippings up and over the flail mower rotor and the flail mower
rotor is not spinning at 2,200 RPM+.

Tall, thick, dense brush requires the user to operate at the lowest forward travel speed
at the lowest mower setting with the engine at the 540 RPM rear PTO engine setting.
Tall, thick, dense brush mowing using a small tractor requires the user to operate the
flail mower in an overlapping mowing method to recut the material and catch the
stringers/stragglers.

What is the low range speed on your mule?

Is your flail mower equipped with side slicer or the scoop/spoon knives??

A flail mower operates best with the roller at its highest mounting point (lowest mowing height setting)
which is the top mounting/height adjustment holes in the side weldments of the mower.

The skids should not touch the ground, their only job is to protect the flail mower rotor, knife hangers and knives/hammers.

Are the V belts on your flail mower tightened by hand using a flat snubber pulley?

If you are mowing 20 acres only occasionally you will not control the invasive plants like ragweed, water hemp,
thistle, poison ivy, poison sumac very well and mowing will be harder to do.

If you mow the 20 acres in 4-5 acre blocks every 2 weeks at a low cutting height you can manage the mowing much more easily.

You will be better off using the Massey Ferguson 135 for this mowing if it is in operating condition.

Leon is very correct in his tips. I learned form him years ago when I first got my Maschio Giraffetta 160SE Flail Mower (this is an offsetting ditch bank mower) It does max out my tractor in full offset bank mode. Its best cutting position is offset just outside the tire - cutting like you do hay with a drum mower. Good Grief Leon how far back was that?

Having the side skids not touching the ground is important, or in turns they will chew things up. I run mine set about 1 to 1.5" to get that good vacuum sound. Cut length is about 3" Out west here it is important to leave it long for good growth and shade the roots to reduce water loss.

One thing I do each year is touch up the hammers with a grinder - not knife sharp, but as close to the stock OEM wedge edge I can get. I take out any big gouges, or if major I replace the blade to maintain drum balance. The other thing to watch for is alfalfa/vines wrapping around the knives or drum. If you hear a change in noise/speed or vibration (normal is NO vibration) stop and check and clean as needed.

Last is speed as Leon mentioned. You will learn what works best over time with your set up. Also keep the PTO RPM up as high as possible

Hope this helps

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #39  
I have used a flail mower to keep up about 5 acres of grass and found it works best when cutting
grass very short . It will always leaves some behind in tall grass. From your pictures it seems you
are just trying to trim and that would be best to use a rotary cutter. As said before it also depends
on what blades you are using. Our parish uses flail mowers for most highway right of ways because
there is less damage from flying objects and they can scalp the ditches along the roadside.

/ Flail mower first try = terrible cut… SOLVED #40  

Thanks
Yes they are reversible.