Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience?

/ Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience? #1  

Matt VA

Tractor
2021 Branson 4820CH
Looking at flail mowers and have read some reviews of Titan Attachments on here and elsewhere and they tend to be less complimentary. WoodMaxx seems to get very good reviews overall although they are on backorder. Another China-made brand I see is Nova Tractor, but I see less commentary about them. What little I see seems positive. Was trying to get my hands on a Titan IMPLEMENTS flail. Made in the USA but longer lead times. Trying to get somethinq quickly that has good value. Im not adverse to Chinese made if it has a track record and is sold. Any one know anything about Nova Tractor?

/ Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience? #2  
Are all WoodMaxx flails on back order, or just the size your looking for? I’m ideally looking for the heaviest duty flail on the market. I did notice this “Peruzzo” flail out of Italy that’s rated to 4”, but it’s a little pricey at around $6k. I tend to avoid chinese equipment if I can. maybe Chinese implements work for some people, but in my experience they totally lack reliability.

I’m buying a new tractor this spring (“Six weeks out” they keep telling me, which is ok, but if it’s still “six weeks out” come May we’re going to have an unhappy camper). They’re adding a landpride rotary in my package, but it’s not really the one I want so i may drop it. I tried changing, but even for landpride they said it’d be til June or July if i want something the dealer doesn’t have in stock.

/ Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience?
Are all WoodMaxx flails on back order, or just the size your looking for? I’m ideally looking for the heaviest duty flail on the market. I did notice this “Peruzzo” flail out of Italy that’s rated to 4”, but it’s a little pricey at around $6k. I tend to avoid chinese equipment if I can. maybe Chinese implements work for some people, but in my experience they totally lack reliability.

I’m buying a new tractor this spring (“Six weeks out” they keep telling me, which is ok, but if it’s still “six weeks out” come May we’re going to have an unhappy camper). They’re adding a landpride rotary in my package, but it’s not really the one I want so i may drop it. I tried changing, but even for landpride they said it’d be til June or July if i want something the dealer doesn’t have in stock.
WoodMaxx and Bestco out of stock. I think combination of COVID and China trade war tariffs. Nova in stock. Titan also in stock but have not read great reviews of their mower or customer service so took a pass. I went with a medium duty at Nova. Hammers are approx same weight as the WoodMaxx. Their heavy duty had 3 lb hammers with notched teeth. Im sure that's great for breaking up big stuff butni figure more, lighter weight hammers will mow grass more cleanly while still being able to tackle 1-2 inch saplings.

/ Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience? #5  
WoodMaxx and Bestco out of stock. I think combination of COVID and China trade war tariffs. Nova in stock. Titan also in stock but have not read great reviews of their mower or customer service so took a pass. I went with a medium duty at Nova. Hammers are approx same weight as the WoodMaxx. Their heavy duty had 3 lb hammers with notched teeth. Im sure that's great for breaking up big stuff butni figure more, lighter weight hammers will mow grass more cleanly while still being able to tackle 1-2 inch saplings.
I have the MFZ175. It's been a great mower and Novatractor (@Jack Yuan) has been great with support when I've had issues.

I have the MFZ175. It's been a great mower and Novatractor (@Jack Yuan) has been great with support when I've had issues.
How has the MFZ done on grass? I'm looking for a relatively clean cut while having some capacity to spread 1-2 inch stuff. Those 3 lb hammers look like they are much more purpose built to spread big brush / saplings and maybe not so great on grass. I'm curious to now because I could see a few situations where I would love those 3lb hammers.

/ Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience? #7  
I'd like to hear more about the Nova Flail as well. The one person I talked to previously had nothing be problems with theirs, the customer service was good, but not good enough to polish a turd.
I was close to ordering, but without many reviews, the one owner I was in contact with sure didn't have anything good to say about the design, mostly that it was very light duty, the roller kept coming off due to weak metal braces that bent, as did the replacements that were sent, and the main rotor vibrated really bad which in addition to being unpleasant to pull, it also vibrated the bolts loose all time. As I recall his was the MFZ195, I would be looking at the 175.

On paper it looked like the Flail for me.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear more about the Nova Flail as well. The one person I talked to previously had nothing be problems with theirs, the customer service was good, but not good enough to polish a turd.
I was close to ordering, but without many reviews, the one owner I was in contact with sure didn't have anything good to say about the design, mostly that it was very light duty, the roller kept coming off due to weak metal braces that bent, as did the replacements that were sent, and the main rotor vibrated really bad which in addition to being unpleasant to pull, it also vibrated the bolts loose all time. As I recall his was the MFZ195, I would be looking at the 175.

On paper it looked like the Flail for me.
Well I have taken the plunge -- on the medium duty 175 with the 1.75 pound hammers. I will post an update once I use it a few times.

WoodMaxx has some flails in stock but they are all fitted with the Y blades. You would need to spend another $250 to get the hammers and replace them yourself when the mower arrives.

/ Flail Mowers -- Nova Tractor Experience? #10  
what is the expected lead time? I'd imagine fairly quick, since they are already here ashore and just awaiting shipment?