Flightradar24 Interesting Finds

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I like using Flightradar24 to see what's flying around. Call it a hobby.

Found this today. Not to often seen by chance like this.

Antonov AN-124 Russian heavy hauler

354E1BD4-024F-4A2E-88CD-4768783C4442.jpeg

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #2  
I do the same Moss, was kind of surprised at the number of private jets are in the air at any one time.

Always wish I could see who owns them, but they mostly fly incognito.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #3  
It could be Ukrainian. At least the one in a pic is in UKR colors.
Anyway, it's very interesting.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #4  
I saw your post about an hour after you posted. I too peak at Flight Radar from time to time. I looked for the Russian and found it. Also found a Chinese airways flight around PA at the same time. I’m sure there are quite a few unidentified above us more than we think.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #5  
There was a raft of "fly boys" overhead at my place this morning at first light.

Sure wish they would invite me up for a spin. REO or dead weight. I wouldn't mind. ;-)

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds
What's very interesting to me is you can tell which are 4-engine large jets. Click on them, and most are 747 cargo jets heading to and from Asia via Anchorage, Alaska.

I grew up around airplanes. I had two good friends whose fathers were both aircraft salesmen at different local airports. They had to keep current in many different models, so I got to go on a lot of rides while they built hours. And, our neighbors had no children and an airplane, so they took me around too. Ended up working at airports for 6 years while putting myself through school. I've lived near the airport most of my life, so get to see all kinds of neat stuff. (y)

Several times a night I'll watch Flightradar24, just to see what's out there.

Watching O'Hare at rush times is fascinating. Same things with Memphis for Fed-X. A lot of planes coming in from Europe to Memphis fly north to south over Indiana. And Louisville for UPS.

Anyhow, fun hobby.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds
It's still in the air over Canada approaching Alaska.

F17E2BE5-6218-4300-8717-E56F15173A38.jpeg

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #8  
Moss,

Yes I also enjoy flight aware and flight radar looking at what's up in the sky's above.

We are in the NE corridor where all the flights route to/from Europe.

Then locally we have Pease AFB with the new KC-46 Tanker replacing the KC135.

There is an app that you can point at a plane in the sky, and it will return the details ‎Plane Finder ⁃ Flight Tracker which is pretty cool. There are other apps that do similar.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #9  
It will likely stop in Alaska for 3 hours, take on fuel and have a small crew rest and swap out captains.
At a cost of about U$1.2 million + for a run like this (or more) it can p/u in central or Eastern N.A., make the one stop then hit just about anywhere in S.E. Asia or Eastern Russia.
It has been used to haul live pigs from Canada this route. Many times a Boeing 747-8f cargo makes similar run with livestock.
Coming from Philadelphia I would guess if livestock it is probably going to be horses going to Korea.
Shipping costs for plane alone is just over U$5 per pound so anything other than highly perishable (like livestock) or stuff really of high value in great demand usually doesn't make sense.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #10  
Two summers ago, there was always a twin engine prop plane that flew overhead as we sat out on the back deck having supper. Pretty much the same time each day, and on the same flight path.

The sound of the engines/props approaching was distinctive and I would look up at it. Call it 5K ft.

I always figured it might be something like fresh cut flowers on it's way to Montreal from NYC.

I've always been to lazy to jump up and check on FlightAware etc.. (out of respect for my wife's efforts at putting out a delightful supper on the deck)

I didn't see it this past summer. Wuhan flu might have got to it.