Float Mode when using the angle broom?

/ Float Mode when using the angle broom? #1  

BisonTC

Tractor
2020 Bobcat Toolcat 5600
I used my angle broom yesterday for the first time. It worked really well. Very happy with it. I did not try using it with float mode. Is that something that is safe to do? My dealer said float mode is only for back dragging with the bucket but I know others use float mode for different attachments. Thanks.

/ Float Mode when using the angle broom? #2  
Officially they're going to say its not safe since it does risk "dropping into a hole" (or trench or whatever) and then catching hard while at speed and doing damage. They say the same (no float) for forward snow plowing. I don't have a broom but it seems a broom would be pretty low risk and I'd certainly try it out to see how it reacts for what you're trying to accomplish. I've used float with the snow plow but really didn't find it that useful for my use (maybe because I don't have plow "shoes"). My driveway is pretty flat and I'm able to apply a slight downward pressure on the boom/plow and it keeps good contact with the ground. Honestly my biggest annoyance with float is the joystick feels "funny" in that position so I find it easier to just stay out of it.

/ Float Mode when using the angle broom? #3  
I wonder if the float action will be the same as a tractor or SS being the lift arm and lift radius is much shorter. With the short radius (and the high pivot) in float, will the resistance pushing on the broom drive it into the ground more than what is desired? I have not used float yet on my Toolcat like I have with many past tractors. :confused3:

Last edited:
   / Float Mode when using the angle broom? #4  
I wish I had a broom so I can't say anything about float with a broom but I use it snowblowing every time. I've done it many times with and without float and in my conditions (uneven, cracked surfaces) float is much better and seems easier on the Toolcat. A broom seems like it would be very forgiving.

DEWFPO

/ Float Mode when using the angle broom? #5  
Its depends on how long the bristles are if the broom is heavy and the bristles are long it tends to fold them down and not sweep as good , On the brooms we use at work that are on 580 case backhoes they have stops on the loader arms and a chain with a spring that holds the broom up that you can adjust as the broom wears down...

/ Float Mode when using the angle broom? #6  
I use float with my snowblower and it follows the ground good but it has shoes, from my time using a broom on the Skidsteer I would not use float unless you have some kind of gauge wheel or skids,

/ Float Mode when using the angle broom? #7  
Do Not use float with a broom. The brush core is mounted to a float system in the hood that should maintain correct brush contact. If you use float the added weight of the mounting frame and hood will push down harder on the bristle causing them to wear much faster.