Floating Anvils...

/ Floating Anvils... #2  
Quite the accumulation of mercury that he has,
an amazing material.

/ Floating Anvils... #3  
While it is somewhat interesting to watch, that guy is nutz. The hazardous waste site he is working on creating will be epic. Not to mention endangering his health. Mercury vapor is highly neurotoxic. There was a case i read of where some lady dropped a fluorescent bulb and shattered it on her stove. There is a tiny bit of mercury in them. Cleaned it all up. Sometime later turned the stove on and was found dead. The heat vaporized what little mercury was left and killed her.

Safety Police, reporting for duty! :cop:

/ Floating Anvils... #4  
While it is somewhat interesting to watch, that guy is nutz. The hazardous waste site he is working on creating will be epic. Not to mention endangering his health. Mercury vapor is highly neurotoxic. There was a case i read of where some lady dropped a fluorescent bulb and shattered it on her stove. There is a tiny bit of mercury in them. Cleaned it all up. Sometime later turned the stove on and was found dead. The heat vaporized what little mercury was left and killed her.

I knew a fella who died in a car accident. Terrible thing. Mangled and bloody.
Killed him fast, that was the good thing. If only he wouldn't have driven that truck....

/ Floating Anvils... #5  
I knew a fella who died in a car accident. Terrible thing. Mangled and bloody.
Killed him fast, that was the good thing. If only he wouldn't have driven that truck....

Because driving and playing in a tub of mercury are totally on the same level of necessity.

/ Floating Anvils... #7  

Dave,

Sorry but I don稚 believe that story. When I was a kid the elementary school had a pickle jar full of mercury in the classroom. Teacher would pour it on a large table to teach us about surface tension and the kids would play with it. We almost all kept smaller jars at home to coat dimes with and play with.

Mercury vapor is poisonous when youæ±*e exposed to it over a period of time but the residual amount that might have been left on a woodstove from a broken fluorescent light isn稚 going to instantly kill anyone.

/ Floating Anvils... #8  
Dave,

Sorry but I don稚 believe that story. When I was a kid the elementary school had a pickle jar full of mercury in the classroom. Teacher would pour it on a large table to teach us about surface tension and the kids would play with it. We almost all kept smaller jars at home to coat dimes with and play with.

Mercury vapor is poisonous when youæ±*e exposed to it over a period of time but the residual amount that might have been left on a woodstove from a broken fluorescent light isn稚 going to instantly kill anyone.

I'm with you on that one. Mercury is toxic all right...ever heard the phrase "Mad as a hatter?" In the old days, hatters used Mercury to shrink felt; and after a few years, they were "mad" as in crazy as a loon.

As for floating an anvil:

Hg....density~ 13.6

Fe...density ~ 7.9

/ Floating Anvils... #10  
I remember a small capsule of mercury in grade school science class but never seen that much in one place. So where does it come from and what is it actually used for?