Floating the FEL on a BX23

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
I asked on a previous post how do you float the FEL and one user was kind enough to explain, but I still don't understand.

I control the FEL and bucket with a joystick type lever. There must be another lever or value beside this normal FEL lever. I do not understand where the valve is.

Can a TBN user help by pointing out where I should be focusing or is the BX23 not capable of floating the FEL.

Thanks

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #2  
Hi dont feel bad I went through my first season before I figured out this simple procedure. Its quite simple really, with the bucket raised several inches from the ground, push the joystick all the way forward, past the position where you push it to lower the bucket. Cant get any easier than that. Practice on some uneven ground so your sure that its really floating and not in a fixed position. Good luck! Brad

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23
If I push the level all the way forward, the FEL continues to go and will raise the tractor's front wheels off the ground, and stay that way. What am I missing? Is it something you have to do fast..

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #4  
You are not pushing it far enough. You have to push it past the point where it is pushing the bucket down. You will feel a slight bump in the joystick and then push it a little farther.

Push harder!

EDIT: Try it with the engine at an idle. If the valve is stuck it might let go at an idle with lower hydraulic pressure. Once you get it go in float move it back and forth a few times to get it loosened up.

Bill Tolle

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #5  
When pushing the joy stick forward, you should feel some resistance. If you continue to push forward, you will be in the float position. If you are unable to get to the float position with the loader valve, it is probably frozen, stuck, or just outright defective. If you have never used it before, there might be a restriction that has developed that will need to be overcome by pushing harder. Just give it a quick wrap pushing forward with the palm of your hand. If you still can't get to the float position, then contact your selling dealer, the tractor needs to go in for warranty repairs........Junk.....

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #6  
In the float position, the lever controller will stick in position all the way forward. Here is a simple way to find float. Raise the bucket about 4 feet off the ground. Run the engine at idle and push the lever forward so the hydraulics are powering the loader down. Now push the lever forward from the power down position, and the lever should stick in position as it passes the float detent. The bucket should drop alot faster in float than with the engine idling and hydraulics in the power down position.

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23
My BX23 has 20 hours on it and I never tried to push the lever forward. Basically I did not know the tractor had this functionality.

I'll try it tomorrow. Should the tractor be in neutral or does it matter when I try this step. Is it like shifting a standard shift without the clutch.

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #8  
It doesn't have to be in neutral or anything. Actually, it doesn't even have to be running. I think it's just a bypass on the loader valve that is being engaged, which allows fluid to flow in and out of both ports on the loader rams, allowing the bucket to move up and down on it's own.

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #9  
Jim - - no, you don't have to be in neutral - - you can be moving forward or backwards or standing still.

Don't feel bad. I had several hours on my BX-22 before a friend told me how to do it.

Have fun.

/ Floating the FEL on a BX23 #10  
Here's the trick. While the tractor is turned off and the fel is down, play with the stick. Push it forward gently until it stops. Then push a bit harder and it should "pop" into another position in which it will stay when you let go. If it doesn't pop forward, push a little harder. If you have to push very hard (don't break anything) then look at the linkages and spray a little PB blaster on them. Try it again. It's easier to find the float the first time when the machine is turned off. Less to worry about.

Cliff