floor jack

/ floor jack #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
I知 looking for recommendations for a low profile floor jack for very occasional use. I need to change the oil in the Miata and I want to jack it up and set it on jack stands. There痴 a few for <$100 on amazon. Anyone have experience with those?

/ floor jack #4  
   / floor jack #5  
The HF 1 1/2 ton aluminum "racing" jack is great for a small car like a Miata. I used it for my Mazdaspeed3 and our Golfs. It does not have enough capacity or go high enough for my Tundra so I got one of the Daytona 3 ton jacks when it was on sale.

If you're working in a restricted space then you might want a jack with a smaller handle. The typical auto store trolley style jacks work ok for small cars too, and their short handles get in the way less than the long ones on the jacks above. I've got a couple of those too.

/ floor jack
ok thanks all. I read the reviews online and some were good and some were bad. At least you guys are real.

/ floor jack #7  
I got one at Harbor Freight. Works just like the jacks we had in service station years ago but very low profile. Just turn handle to lock for jacking and pump to go up.

Got a Miata, too, curse those Japanese who keep putting the oil filter underneath. Piss on them. Suck the oil out but have to go underneath for the filter on all 3 Jap vehicles. The Miata's is a special PITA. Need a zip lock bag to keep from losing oil from the filter.

Ralph

/ floor jack
I got one at Harbor Freight. Works just like the jacks we had in service station years ago but very low profile. Just turn handle to lock for jacking and pump to go up.

Got a Miata, too, curse those Japanese who keep putting the oil filter underneath. Piss on them. Suck the oil out but have to go underneath for the filter on all 3 Jap vehicles. The Miata's is a special PITA. Need a zip lock bag to keep from losing oil from the filter.

Ralph

maybe a pita for oil changes but a lot of fun on the road

/ floor jack #9  
For a Miata it wouldn't matter much but I would avoid the rapid pump (or what ever they call it) style jacks. These are the ones that go from as low as possible to all the way up in 3 pumps or so. Often it takes a fair bit of force to make it happen. I'm not doing a NASCAR style pit stop so if it takes me 10 pumps vs 2 I can live with it. In fact with the 10 pump model I often take one section of the handle off.

/ floor jack #10  
Any of the ones from Harbor Freight, baby!