Flower bed borders???

/ Flower bed borders??? #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
I am buying a new house, new to me, and the flower beds have stone in them and have no borders. What do you use that is easy to trim with the riding mower and keeps the mulch - stone in place? I have a weedeater but don't want to use it any more than I have to. Ed

/ Flower bed borders??? #2  
If you don't want to use a weedeater, a little ditch is probably the best. I have to trim around a number of other things.

Ralph

/ Flower bed borders??? #3  
I am buying a new house, new to me, and the flower beds have stone in them and have no borders. What do you use that is easy to trim with the riding mower and keeps the mulch - stone in place? I have a weedeater but don't want to use it any more than I have to. Ed

Good luck with that. We use landscaping bricks...they are about 4" wide, 3" thick, and about 12 or 14" long. They are rounded on one end and have a rounded concave receptacle on the other end so they can be placed end to end and fitted together. We used them to form a border, and are set in the ground to where they extend about 3/4 to an inch above the ground. I can mow over them, but still have to use the weedeater occasionally. I can't think of a thing that I don't have to use the weedeater, except the sidewalk, and that requires an edger.

/ Flower bed borders??? #4  
My favorite border is concrete flush with the grass about 6 inches wide and deep. I dug it with a shovel, set the forms, added a stick of rebar and troweled it smooth. I rarely have to use the weed eater on it, I just run over it with the mower and that's that. It keeps the mulch in place and the grass does not spread to those flower beds. Looks like a miniature sidewalk. My best looking borders are rotting out, thin cedar logs. I mow as close as I can to them, then spray round up on what I missed. I do that a few times a year and never use the weed eater.

/ Flower bed borders??? #5  
I like the concrete idea.

I have landscape timbers around mine but several need replacing from rot. I can get the edge of the mower deck to pass over the top of the timbers and keep most of it decent but I still go around it with the weed eater several times a year. I drilled the timbers and drove rebar through them to anchor them to the ground so they wouldn't move. They are probably the cheapest option but they don't last.

/ Flower bed borders??? #7  
I like the landscape blocks. You can get various sizes, shapes, and colors as desired. Easy to make straight or curved runs. It takes some work to make a little ditch to set them in, but DO THAT so that they are submerged in the soil enough to not shift around, and so that they are low enough that you can use them as a "road" for one edge of your mower.

I ditched out for mine a little extra and shoveled in some paving sand for a good "foundation" that can be easily adjusted if needed. A strip of landscape fabric under the sand helps keep the blocks from sinking and helps prevent weed growth between them.

/ Flower bed borders??? #8  
"better living through chemistry" as Dow used to say [I think it was them]. In any case, I rely on a precise spray of Roundup to keep things in order. Twice a year does it -- just keep the application narrow and close to the ground -- it doesn't travel.

/ Flower bed borders???
Thanks everyone, I don't mind running the weed eater every now and then but not all of the time and if I never have to that is better. I had thought of your idea Eddie but it is a lot of work and so far I like JRobyn's idea about the landscape blocks. At least I don't have to mi them. Will be moving next month so we will see. I know I wont do it like the lawn people that have been doing it. They spray and kill everything within a foot of the bed. Ed

/ Flower bed borders??? #10  
We tried plastic edging many times. It works for a few years, then tends to move up and down or in and out as you bump it with the tractor or frost heaves it. So now, as it wears out, I yank it out and as someone else mentioned, I dig a little ditch with a step edging tool like this. I just cut straight down into the sod and flip the piece into the flower bed. When I'm done I go back and pick up the pieces. It leaves a 90 degree angle at the grass edge and about a 45 degree angle up into the bed. I do it once per year and that keeps the grass from growing into the flower beds all year long. From what I've read, when the grass roots hit the open air at the edge of the trench, they stop growing. Seems to work for us.

edger.jpg