Oil & Fuel Fluid and Filter Changes

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #1  

Rockin' G Ranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HST with FEL
Had all of my fluids and filters changed by my dealer in my L4740 in January 2014 with an hour reading of 180. My hour reading today is 217. I know the manual says after additional 200 hours but should the fluid and/or filters be changed at least annually? Thanks.

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #2  
I pretty much go by the manual on all of ours, but I'm sure others will disagree. My newest is a three year old 5740.

We have tractors well over 50 years old still running strong and don't change fluids yearly.

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #3  
I do NOT change annually unless the hours are there.:2cents:

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #4  
I've always viewed filters and oil as cheap preventive maintenance. I'm more apt to swap out the engine oil and filter annually. Frequent start ups are hard on an engine. I would only change hydraulic oil and filters based upon hours. I changed mine initially at 50 hours, now plan to change at every additional 300 hours here out.
As a side note, I just bought a new truck and the dealer/manufacturer recommends synthetic oil only and changes at 7,500 mile intervals. I know the owner of a local garage and he had all the synthetic oil of his workers' vehicles tested following the recommended change of manufacturers. The test found that the synthetic oil was pretty much shot at 4,000 miles. Needless to say, there will be no 7,500 changes for my new truck.

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #5  
The owner of the local garage finding's is very dubious, Does he possibly make money selling oil changes?

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #6  
Synthetic oil does not wear out at 4,000 miles. He is selling oil changes that people don't need if he is telling them to change it at 4,000 miles because it is worn out. Where and who tested the oil?

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #7  
I'm simply stating what a certified mechanic told me. I don't have my oil changed there regularly. So he has no dog in the fight where my oil changes are concerned. I don't recall what outfit tested his oil.

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #8  
I would ask him to see the report. I am a ASE certified Master auto tech also and do not believe that synthetic oil wears out that quick. About ten or so years ago GM started putting Mobil 1 in the new Corvettes from the factory. The oil changes were to be done every 15,000 miles. Just sayin

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #9  
I don't have $7,000 for a new motor to save $50 for an oil/filter change. God bless anyone who does. I'm just sayin.

/ Fluid and Filter Changes #10  
think most would agree that modern lubricants such as Mobil 1 & Rotella 5/40 diesel synthetics (plus more) offer far greater protection than previous lubricants. The OP asks how often for fluid/filter change... i feel that most would also agree that for occasional/ consumer applications like most of us here, the change interval would be more often than say commercial/industrial applications given fluid capacity & applications (more frequent cold starts & smaller capacities give way to more contaminants)....there are those in this forum w/far greater field experience & empirical knowledge than me ( ie:g fowler, j thomas, triple r, etc) so i can only give my view....if you are really interested in how often you should change say engine & hyd fluids, just use it to what you think is an appropriate hr level (or according to owners manual hrs, etc), then get a sample analysis. the result would be a far more accurate benchmark than opinions, however experienced, would be able to offer. use your machinery in your own cond. & applications, then get it tested. go from there....:thumbsup: